• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead console from 94 XJ to 89 XJ?

SonicCougar99

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting an overhead console out of a friend's 94 XJ that he's parting out, and I need to know what wires I need to take with me to make everything work in my 89 XJ. I've traced the wiring loom back down by the ECU and it goes all over the place. All I really need is the outside temperature sensor, compass, and whatever essential wiring for the dome lights I need. I can always run wiring myself in between the sensor and the wiring harness if I need to, all I need is basically the "other end" to make everything work. I'm a little pressed on time, hence why I'm posting this thread and trying to get a quick answer. Thanks.

The dome light you can hook to yours that is already there. The compass just needs power and ground I beleive and the temp wires will go all the way up to a sensor on the drivers side behind the grill. It's a 2 wire sensor just kinda sitting there. Now keep on mind I am only guessing here. That is all I needed to do to my temp and compass mirror as far as those go.

I'm posting from my phone, hav both the parts 94 xj and my 89 xj sitting here. Found the temp sensor on the 94, and where it clips to. The wires then go into the main wire loom and I lose them. Looking under the hood of my 89, I don't see anywhere for that to clip. Do I need to trace back farther on the parts jeep? Or can I run my own wiring from the sensor inside to the harness that I'm swapping over? I've got the parts jeep wiring all the way back to the a-pillar.

As far as the clip into the 89 for the sensor... They never had that option so you will have to make your own spot. Just make sure it's NOT in the direct path of air travel as that will effect the reading allot.

Note 2 from DJ
Enter the below words into your web search box for more information than you will probable every want to know.

overhead counsel site:naxja.org

Any chance anyone can share a wiring diagram for a 94 Cherokee? I'm looking in my Haynes manual and don't see the interior wiring diagram anywhere that shows what wires go up to the overhead console. I need to know what wires I need to connect to what to make this thing work.

Back