• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6x9's in the roof?

Airsmitty

NAXJA Forum User
So, I just picked up a rear overhead speaker bar out of a 96 from another Naxja member, and I've been wondering if anyone has experience putting 6x9's in them? Pics would be fantastic. I searched this site and others and only found one crappy picture on car domain! Anybody have a pic?

I would reinforce the bar with fiberglass or epoxy, keep the 5 1/2s in the factory location, and add the 6x9s in the middle. Just my take

Back in '00, I built a completely new sound bar out of MDF to house the Pioneer 6x9s I had. Built it with two chambers and covered it in padded naugahyde A little time consuming to make, but the results were worth it as I was able to angle them slightly forward so the sound was not shot straight down.

I did this as I was not happy with the stock sound bar on the '97. Proceeduraly, I stretched a string across where I wanted to put the bar, took measurements and cut a card stock pattern to check the fitment prior to committing the 1/2" MDF. Added sheet metal to the ends of the bar and screwed the thing to the top of the Heep which required removing the trim to do.

Took maybe a couple of days to get done. Not difficult, just time consuming...

I have done it twice in two different 96'. Cut to fit and make the hardware in the center stronger I used zip ties the first time but my dd now I used a self tapping screw attached to some bailing wire. Also cut.speaker holes bigger near the center rather then the outsides of the.crossbar. Otherwise the speaker will not.seat deep enough to seat flush. Good luck.

Normally round speakers are better then oblong/oval speakers for sound quality.

I put some nice Pioneer 6.5s back there. Sound great, better than whatever is in the front.

6.5s will fit in the front too, I am using Polk DXi's and they fit right in, just had to drill the holes for the screws. The holes in the metal will fit 6.5s perfectly just make sure to get the speaks centered when you drill the holes otherwise they may hit the door panels.

I guess the factory size is 6.5, not 5.5 as I originally posted. When I redid my speakers, I went with some blaupunkts for $30/pair. Not audiophille grade by any means, but a nice step up from the 25+ year old paper cones that were in there

the factory speakers are 5.25" but 6.5" will fit right in with only minor trimming on the sound bar and just drilling the holes in the front doors. BTDT! I don't know what the stock stuff sounded like (I got my heep with Sony 6.5's in the front doors and no sound bar) but bigger speakers are almost always better, or at least have better bass response, all other things being equal. Crutchfield says you can only fit 5.25s in the sound bar but they are full of crap, or at least tailor their recommendations to those customers who are afraid of a little trimming. Seriously, it'll take 10 minutes tops to make 'em fit.

The only special instruction with the sound bar is if you buy 6.5s get ones that have attractive looking grilles; you won't be able to use the stock ones with anything other than 5.25s. this is not the end of the world, e.g. the Polk DXi's that I used look almost identical to factory anyway with their supplied grilles.

Factory is 5.25's front. I know as long as you have a 6.5 without too large a magnet they fit, some come real close to the window fully down in my 00. (I work installing car audio). As for the rears we did some 1/2 ***'d 6x8 components in the stock rear sound bar for my friend a while back. They were $25 (marked down from $200) so we couldn't say no. I just snipped some of the material out with dikes and screwed them in. If I wasn't rushing it into a 1.5 hours I could have done better. I can try to grab some pics tomorrow if you want.

I used 1/2 inch spacers for 6.5 inch speakers front and rear. Screw the spacer in and the mount the speaker to the spacers. JL Coax in the rear and components in the front. JL 8" small box sub and a 500 watt amp. Best sounding system I've heard in a while. I would always start with a quality deck though first. Pioneers have never let me down.

Back