• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Leaf Spring Bolt HELP ASAP!!

ghettocherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Am replacing leaf springs and can't get the front bolt out. I have PB'd the crap out of it and it seems to be frozen in the bushing sleeve. Is there anything I can do to avoid cutting the bolt and bushings (they are practically brand new and worth reusing).

It's just a bolt and a bushing...

The bigger problem is after you cut, you still need to get the end of the bolt out of the welded nut, INSIDE the "frame"...

Been there! It sucks out loud...

Robert

(Are you sure it's seized in the bushing, and not the nut? You can drill/cut a hole in the floorboard so you can get the blaster right on the threads...)

if it turns, you're likely going to have to cut it. that would indicate it is rusted to the sleeve. if it won't turn, it's more likely siezed in the nut inside the unibody rail as Robert suggested. you can try a few good whacks on the bolt head to break the rust bond on the sleeve but you run the risk of breaking the weld holding the nut into the rail.

if it turns easily i would just cut it and try your best to leave a nub you can grab with vice grips sticking out of the body. check out the "similar threads" box at the bottom of this thread for some others who have had the same problem as you.

good luck, it's a pain in the ass.

It is definitely frozen in the sleeve. I drilled a hole in the floorboard and got the bolt free from the nut. It was coming out of the nut but the threads seem to not want to go through the sleeve. I think a sawsall will solve the problem. How long is the nut? I know the end of the bolt has a smooth part for maybe a 1/4 an inch because I can see the end of the bolt spin at the end of the nut. so it must be free from the nut. Anything else?

Back