• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Severely cracked Edelbrock shorty header..

CameronB

NAXJA Forum User
I just purchased this header from a fellow jeeper, which was installed on a '99 xj. This shorty header is either ceramic or ti-tech coated, and just about every weld at the collectors is cracked, including part of the collector itself.

He tells me it was on the jeep less than two years... So I'm curious as to how to repair it.

1) How is Edelbrock's customer service? I'm thinking about inquiring as to whether or not they will back up their product and provide affordable/free repair. However, I don't see this product available any longer, and am curious as to when they may have discontinued it.

2) If poor, I imagine I'd have to sand-blast the cracked areas and have someone weld it back up (I'm not experienced enough to weld it myself.) And, I'm not sure if this is stainless or not, beneath the coating.

Thanks!

BTW, just installed a '99+ intake manifold and 62.5 TB... A header and down pipe (which was included) would nicely compliment these upgrades to my '95 xj, seeing how I'm already got a high flow cat and flowmaster cat back.

Any help here guys? This can't be the only Edelbrock shorty that has cracked amongst all of us..

How did you handle the situation?

Cameron :cheers:

You mention is cracked to :):):):).... not just cracked, but mortally cracked... Considering the labor involved in re-swapping it out when it re-cracks, i wouldnt bother... and i have the means to backpurge and TIG it....

My buddy had an Edelbrock on his TJ that cracked after only a year or two (was just out of warranty). It just wasn't worth the cost to buy it again. He ended up with an APN header.

What a waste to just toss it.. I think I'll call Edelbrock tomorrow and see if they'll do anything for me.
A friend mentioned possibly brazing it. What do you think? I do believe the metal is stainless 409 beneath the coating.

Cam

Make sure your motor mounts are in good shape. If they're not, whatever header you put on will crack again shortly...

My header (dunno brand) cracked. Welded it. Cracked. Welded it. Now it's cracked again. I am about to purchase one of the A1 headers, I've read they hold up pretty good.

main.JPG

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ExhaustManifolds/Jeep/Cherokee/1AEEM00146/250322/1999

Actually, that exhaust manifold looks to be the Dorman one from any of the local parts stores. At an excellent price too! That's what i'm running on my Jeep now and have no complaints with it.

metalurgy... look into it.

THE METAL IS FATIGUED, it will crack again, so unless you love pulling manifolds twice a month... MOVEON.ORG

Back