• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I keep my drums or convert to disc brakes?

I’m considering replacing my rear drum brakes. But while I was thinking about the rear drums, I was also wondering if there are any advantageous in switching over to disc brakes for my application. I have a 2000 XJ. It’s a daily driver with 31.5” tires and I do very mild off-roading, however, I do tow a utility trailer that doesn’t have trailer brakes, so good braking would be important to consider when making this decision. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Reading your post; it sounds as though you have already made your decision and just need a little reassurance that it is the correct thing to do.... DO IT !!!!

I converted my '98 from drum to discs >12 years ago....; the differences in braking are quite dramatic....
I would also recommend going with Black Magic brake pads and Centrics Premium rotors for the front.....
When my Jeep had a 3" lift with 30" tires; driving it with stock brakes was terrible....
My Jeep now has 5.5" lift with 33" tires; the braking is quick to slow down and smooth to stop....
It all depends upon how much you press on the pedal.

The braking is better, but not like 1000% above stock, so don't expect leaps and bounds in improvement. However, they are easier to service, easier to inspect and look better. Plus they don't drab when damn like drums are prone to. I'm running Hawk pads in the rear and Porterfields on the front Aussi brakes. Stops on a dime and great pedal feel.

Reading your post; it sounds as though you have already made your decision and just need a little reassurance that it is the correct thing to do.... DO IT !!!!.

Yes, you are correct. I just needed reassurance.

I would also recommend going with Black Magic brake pads and Centrics Premium rotors for the front......

As a matter of fact, I just ordered them yesterday, this is what got me thinking about the rears, lol.

The braking is better, but not like 1000% above stock, so don't expect leaps and bounds in improvement. However, they are easier to service, easier to inspect and look better. Plus they don't drab when damn like drums are prone to. I'm running Hawk pads in the rear and Porterfields on the front Aussi brakes. Stops on a dime and great pedal feel.

Okay, you got me talked into it, but where should I buy the disc parts? I prefer going with new parts.

Just swap the rear end out for a ford 8.8 from a 96+ explorer. They are disk breaks and stronger axle.

I think I have the OE 8.25, which I thought was a pretty good axle for my application. I thought about getting parts from a Jeep Liberty, maybe I should get the whole rear axle from a Jeep Liberty. I've never done this stuff before, so I'm shooting in the dark.

I did this to my 8.25 last year. You won't regret it. I happened to find a core axle from a '99 Grand for $100.00. The core charge for the calipers alone was that much, then I sold the stripped axle for scrap. I did the whole job for less than $300.00 with new loaded calipers, new parking brake innards and new rotors. Do a search, there are a bunch of write-ups using the parts from a Grand, or from a Liberty.

I considered swapping in an 8.8, but the 8.25 is plenty of axle for what I do (light wheeling, 32's) and I really didn't want to do all the cutting and welding to put a different axle in, and then do a brake job on it too.. Changing to discs with Grand or Liberty parts is just a weekend job, no fabrication needed.

I never noticed more braking power from the rear.

I did however notice no more premature lockups after it rained, no more relying on a shitty self adjuster design, and no more having to constantly adjust them.

i noticed no improvements over drums, and probably wouldnt waste much money on it again. the wj brake swap was much more of an improvement.

Do the conversion, it’s very easy & there is no downside.

I agree.

Be sure to snag the caliper bracket mounting studs from the donor axle as they are longer.

Also be aware that you will need longer wheel studs. IIRC, you can use front studs in the rear to solve this issue.

I agree.

Be sure to snag the caliper bracket mounting studs from the donor axle as they are longer.

Also be aware that you will need longer wheel studs. IIRC, you can use front studs in the rear to solve this issue.

Unless your running aftermarket steel wheels.. then the studs will work fine. Watch craigslist for a liberty or ZJ part out. I picked up everything needed for $75 and threw it all on as the pads and rotors were in good shape.

E barke hook up is pretty simple also, I resused one of the ones from the ZJ and picked up a long side cable from a explorer but cant remember the year. The info on it is out there, just search on it.

Back