• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is the best oil for a rear Aussie locker?

does higher like 75w140 make it quieter?

I had an Aussie in a front axle. It was absolutely quieter when I ran 80/140. Though they say thicker or higher temp oil affects gas mileage. I was on 37's and didn't bother to measure MPG's so I can't say it made it worse. If it did, it wasn't by a noticeable amount, but possibly a measurable amount.

I have no experience with an Aussie in the rear

Last edited:
I know in my front axle the 140 weight oil definately quieted down my aussie, not sure if that would apply to your rear axle.

Next time I replace fluids in the diffs I'll be going back to 140 for the front and rear even though my rear has a no slip and its dead silent

I'm using Redline Heavy Shockproof, not sure what the viscosity is but it is thinner than a 140 but they claim it protects better. Does it work? Who knows, but it fills me with the warm fuzzies. Ran it in a T-10 and D44 LSD in my Studebaker as well w/ no problems. Actually started using it there at the recommendation of an old school drag racer. Redline ATF in my transmixer and xfer case as well. Can't afford to run Redline in the engine however, currently running Delo synthetic 15W40 with a little MMO in there to get my clean on. Did pop for a CM Racing (formerly Canton/Mecca) oil filter as well. Can you tell I like my stuff clean?

I grab whatever is cheapest/on sale at the parts store. pretty sure i have 75/90 in there. i change it frequently enough.

Last edited:
Back