• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trouble Code P0751

Ken Huey

NAXJA Forum User
1999 Cherokee Sport 4.0L I6, AW4 Automatic Transmission, Selec-Trac 4WD...Engine starts & runs normally but vehicle does not move (at all)...Only OBD II Code is P0751: "Shift Solenoid A CKT performance or Stuck Off"...I understand the AW4 transmission is electronically controlled with 3 solenoids located on the Valve Body...I understand that Solenoid #3 "Shift Solenoid" controls the Lock-Up Torque Converter...I understand that each solenoid should test between 11-15 OHMS; if good...I understand the process necessary to change one or all of the solenoids...The information I have not been able to locate is a way to test the solenoids electrically without going into the transmission...It is my understanding the 1999 Cherokee Sport 4.0L I6 does not have a "Stand Alone" TCU (Transmission Control Unit); the TCU was integrated into the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) for 1999...I have yet to locate electrical diagrams for the 3 PCM Connectors; C1 Black, C2 White, C3 Grey Connectors, to determine if the solenoids can be tested with an OHM Meter in a similar manner to the testing at the pre-1999 TCU Connector at C14, C15 & C16 or any other connector(s) in the solenoid electrical path from the transmission...Also, would appreciate any information/suggestions to troubleshoot vehicle symptoms and Trouble Code P0751...Anyone else delt with these issues in XJ Land...Thanking all in advance.
Troubleshoot & Test 1st - Spend $$$ 2nd!

Chrylser parts fiche says the 99 XJ does indeed have a standalone TCU.
Why do you think it doesn't?
Who told you it was integrated into the PCM???
TCU should be located under dash behind knee panel - right of steering wheel I believe.

McQue, Thanks for the reply...The TCU location for my vehicle (don't know about all 1999 Cherokee models, engine/trans combinations, etc.) as stated in my Post came from various sites...Here is one:http://fixya.com/cars/t7032564-transmission_control_module_tcm...If you have a diagram, picture, writeup, etc. for your suggested location would appreciate if you could pass along...Need all the help I can get...On another Cherokee site was told the location was behind the Glove Box, which I believe it was on some years...Also, under the Center Console; don't know about this location...Anyway, all I am trying to accomplish is to find an electriacl location to test the 3 transmission solenoids for the 11-15 OHMS without going into the transmission...Would appreciate any and all help.

1999 Cherokee Sport 4.0L I6, AW4 Automatic Transmission, Selec-Trac 4WD...Engine starts & runs normally but vehicle does not move (at all)...Only OBD II Code is P0751: "Shift Solenoid A CKT performance or Stuck Off"...I understand the AW4 transmission is electronically controlled with 3 solenoids located on the Valve Body...I understand that Solenoid #3 "Shift Solenoid" controls the Lock-Up Torque Converter...I understand that each solenoid should test between 11-15 OHMS; if good...I understand the process necessary to change one or all of the solenoids...The information I have not been able to locate is a way to test the solenoids electrically without going into the transmission...It is my understanding the 1999 Cherokee Sport 4.0L I6 does not have a "Stand Alone" TCU (Transmission Control Unit); the TCU was integrated into the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) for 1999...I have yet to locate electrical diagrams for the 3 PCM Connectors; C1 Black, C2 White, C3 Grey Connectors, to determine if the solenoids can be tested with an OHM Meter in a similar manner to the testing at the pre-1999 TCU Connector at C14, C15 & C16 or any other connector(s) in the solenoid electrical path from the transmission...Also, would appreciate any information/suggestions to troubleshoot vehicle symptoms and Trouble Code P0751...Anyone else delt with these issues in XJ Land...Thanking all in advance.
Troubleshoot & Test 1st - Spend $$$ 2nd!

IMPORTANT UPDATE: The information stating that the TCU was integrated into the PCM in 1999 is INCORRECT... Being a "Newbie" I guess I had to learn that you should not/can not believe everything you read on a Forum or on a Web Site...It does in fact have a TCM (Transmission Control Module) located under the dash above and to the right of the gas pedal; held in place with two 8mm bolts... Removed the TCM and disconnected the connector... Tested the connector at CAV 11, 12, & 13 (last 3 CAV's on the top row, right corner) for the required 11-15 OHMS...All 3 checked good at 11 OHMS... Have pictures & diagrams but guess I'm not allowed to attach items on this Forum... Special thanks to McQue and to Daniel Sanders at the AutoZone Web Site for providing the correct information, pictures, diagrams, etc. so that I could test the solenoids (Note: The AutoZone Web Site has a very informative "Repair Help Section" that I would recommend to anyone troubleshooting an automotive problem)... Anyway, hope this information helps others... On to more troubleshooting... Would appreciate any help, suggestions, or comments... Thanks, Ken

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/aw4-solenoid-replacement-write-up-no-56k-717206/
The test procedure is in this writeup. If you do the test at the TCU which is right above the drivers right foot. This will prove the solenoid and wiring. Ive had solenoids check out OK and still be bad.The mechanical part had failed.
Ive bought solenoids from the outfit in Florida with great results. The one listed for older jeeps pre 96 also fit the newer ones also. Get all 3 the first time.
Ron

Back