• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cleaning up lawrence welk?

Vanimal

NAXJA Forum User
there has been some talk of this before, but nothing ever happened of it.
Lawrence welk is a mess, thanks to people dumping and shooting. what are the legalities of spending a day or two up there cleaning some of that crap up? i suspect we need to contact the land owner to keep from being arrested for theft and trespassing. anyone know who actually owns the land? is even asking them opening ourselves up for catching heat for being out there in the first place? i suspect they dont care, since there is little to no effort to keep us out, and they know we're there. my guess is the constant traffic keeps the majority of crime down as well as helps keep the trails usable as fire breaks, so free security patrol in a way.
anyone wanna help out with this and/or know the correct channels to go through?

The first, and maybe most difficult, step is to find out who owns the land. My guess is its many different land owners. I think I would just git 'er done and leave it at that. I would guess the land owner/s would appreciate the effort and would likely have no issues with it.

I agree with Jeeper john. We could call the city of Escondido and start from there. Easiest place to start would be around the airport since its easier access with trailers. Let make it happen.

Its not like were bringing dozers or a cat up top, by the time you track down who owns what and property lines it will be done already. yea boy!!!!!!!!!! :D

the 'land owner' is a couple of real-estate companies.

The new owners are San Diego-based Newland Real Estate Group and North America Sekisui House, a division of the Japan's largest home-building company.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jan/30/merriam-mountains-project-starting-scratch/

the previous owner of the land had this policy (taken from a discussion on jeepforum.com)
StvDiego said:
From a previous discussion and research on LW:

The area in question is owned by Stonegate Merriam LLC, a real estate developer. They bought the land in 2007 from Hanson Aggregate and are planning a 2700 home housing development, Merriam Mountains: http://www.merriammountains.com/

Jason (Jeebs) has contacted the SD County Sheriff Department and spoke with the Deputy who patrols that area. The gist of that conversation is that this is in fact private property, there are no signs or locked gates and the Sheriff's department will not enforce any trespassing laws unless signs are posted, locks are cut or the land owners request enforcement.

However, that does mean they will not stop someone coming out of that area. There have been problems up there including vandalism, dumping of stolen property, environmental damage, even bodies dumped there so they have an interest of who is up there and why and the area is regularly patrolled by land and air law enforcement.

Synopsis: Private property, from a legal standpoint it is trespassing, possibility of contact with law enforcement.

so far I have never heard of anyone being given a ticket, in fact the several sheriffs that I know have said that unless they receive a complaint they can't and won't do anything about it. the owners of the property (stonegate merriam llc at the time) were contacted at one time to be asked and they did not seem to care about people driving out there. since that conversation ownership did change hands.

So just out of curiosity.... Say we go out there and start loading up un-claimed "stolen property" on trailers for a clean up. What the hell are we gonna do with it? Wouldn't we technically need to have the police/sheriff dept there for one.. not ding any of us for possesion of stolen goods and two. To actually do any closing paper work they have open on stolen property and allow us to take to scrap yard.

the stolen property in question are the vehicles. i'm talking about picking up trash like ammo rounds, clay pigeons, etc. stuff that is clearly littering.

Vehicles might be a touchy subject but anything else should not matter. You could always get the VIN numbers and charge the responsible party for the removal :D

I wonder if there is a way we could get L.W. to be part of an AAT program? Maybe we would get the trail clean up hours for SOCal NAXJA it at least.

What is the process for this?

the process is not to stir the pot too much, the second they officially allow people in there to wheel, they'll get sued the first time some jackass rolls his truck. they're business people, they don't care about wheeling, and will not knowingly put themselves in the way of a potential lawsuit. they own that land to make a profit.
plus allowing it to be a recreational area will only make it harder for them to get approval when and if they actually do develop it, which i'm sure their 1000004344564g lawyers will alert them of.

the process is not to stir the pot too much, the second they officially allow people in there to wheel, they'll get sued the first time some jackass rolls his truck. they're business people, they don't care about wheeling, and will not knowingly put themselves in the way of a potential lawsuit. they own that land to make a profit.
plus allowing it to be a recreational area will only make it harder for them to get approval when and if they actually do develop it, which i'm sure their 1000004344564g lawyers will alert them of.

Oh damn! Check out the big brain on bread! Didn't even think about that!!
This must be why you make the big bucks right?

The AAT program is run by the San Bernardino National Forest.

You guys are talking about private land.

Grab some rakes and shovels and trash bags next time you go out and clean some shit up.

Why are you guys asking for permission to do a clean-up?

You don't ask for permission when you wheel there.

The AAT program is run by the San Bernardino National Forest.

You guys are talking about private land.

Grab some rakes and shovels and trash bags next time you go out and clean some shit up.

Why are you guys asking for permission to do a clean-up?

You don't ask for permission when you wheel there.
because trespassing and stealing are two different things. if someone wanted to make an example or just give us a hard time, they could have us arrested for stealing stuff off their property.

because trespassing and stealing are two different things. if someone wanted to make an example or just give us a hard time, they could have us arrested for stealing stuff off their property.

Really?

Someone will have you arrested for picking up trash:dunno:

I guess that's why I wheel on PUBLIC lands.

The public land managers love it when you bring out more than you brought in and youdon't have to ask for permission.

Back