• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar axle mount relocation ??

uglystick

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
My track bar mount broke at the axle. :explosion
When I make my new one I want to move it rearward about two to three inches. It will no longer be inline with the frame mount. Will this be OK? :confused1 Or am I setting my self up for some bad issues.
I can't relocate my frame mount as the track bar would then contact the differential housing. :eyes:
This is my daily driver when not broken.
It's an XJ with a Currie 9", over the knuckle steering, 5.5" of lift, 33"AT's on the road / 35" MT's offroad tires.
I'm moving it rearward as my drag link and tie rod hit the mount limiting my turning radius.

The pics are the way it used to be. :D

TrackBar18.jpg

Swaybarmount3.jpg

By the looks of it, moving it rearward interferes with the coil, no?

Either way, you can move it forward/rearward, providing the joints are/will be, within the working specs through-out the arcs of travel.
My trac bar axle mount is not perfectly in-line with the frame mount, but the heim joints allow for much more play, as compared to poly bushings for example.

So if you have to force the joint into the mount, or close to it, I would suggest keeping it closer to how it was... otherwise you should be fine.

Thanks
Yes I would have to shorten my track bar to clear the spring. I do have a bushing on the axle but there is a Johnny Joint on the frame so it should swing ok. I was more concerned with bump steer and binding as the axle moves front to back.

if your options are between moving it back some and shortening it, or leaving it where is and beefing up the mount... beef up the mount.

if the draglink length/angle = trac-bar length/angle then you shouldn't have any bumpsteer. what reason do you have for moving the current mount?
seems like it was in a good spot, just needed some addition gussets to keep it intact.

any pics from the front?

I'm moving it back to make more room for the draglink and tierod. They hit now and limit my steering radius. I see your point though.
I probably have pics somewhere but I'm pressed for time right now.
Thanks.

beef up that mount where it is and add more bend to the drag link.

Back