• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding an 8.8 LSD

POSJ

NAXJA Forum User
...as the title says, give me your opinions. An open carrier is like $100, welding the "more slip than limit" rear seems like an easier option. I plan on Spooling it at some point. But in the short term I am pissed about not being locked in the rear. This is a toy hence the no doors, I don't care about selling the LSD because the money I would profit is not worth the effort. So if you don't have an answer on whether or not welding an 8.8's spider gears in a limited slip is a good/bad idea, go away.

Not exactly your criteria, but a little info for ya. The 8.8 LS Carrier is made by machining an open carrier to accomadate the LSD fibers/steels. Supposedly it is doable to remove the fibers, and use the remaining steels to take up the tolerances to that a lunchbox can be used.

I have had good luck with my LS by using fresh gear oil, and not using the reccommended friction modifier, which helps the clutches to slide on one another.

If you are dead set on welding it, I dont see any issues, just do it in such a way that you will be able to get the C-clips out later

souske I guess the real issue I am seeing is the added stress on the assembly. Like you said the LSD carrier is machined a little more than an open carrier making it weaker. Most of the lunchbox styles say not to use them with an LSD carrier. I don't want to spend the cash on a lock-rite or something just to have the carrier blow up lol.

I doubt they're saying "don't use this on a LSD carrier", they're saying "this doesn't fit in an LSD carrier" (because it's machined differently).

For what you'd spend in time and money for the gear oil, you might as well see about a mini-spool. I have no experience with welding the plates on an 8.8 but I haven't heard good results on any other diff, and i don't see why the 8.8 would be any different.

Just weld it and use it. I like a welded or spooled rear. Spend ALOT of time cleaning before welding. Remove the ring gear and cover the bearings. Be sure to do the best job you can.
Ron

I'll trade you an open 31 spline carrier with spiders for your 31 spline LSD. Sitting on my desk right now. Much easier to weld :)

Back