• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jolly Jeepers - 2012

NW99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know I was the only NAXJA member at the 2012 Jolly Jeepers run this year.
But I figured I'd share a bit of what little pics I took this weekend.

We camp out at a chunk of land adjacent to a X-mas tree farm. And for those of us who don't own trailers/motor-homes, it was pretty much set-up-a-site-where-ever-you-want type of thing. (same every year)

Some members of the Forestry Service met up with my group Sat morning, and the owner/photographer of Double Black Diamond Off Road Magazine was there as well to snap some pics for us.
(13 rigs in my group the first day)

Trail order for the day was - Powerline, University Firepower, Firebreak 5, Saddle-Up, Airplane Hill, Hogsback, and I think Can Opener. (cant remember if we actually did that one or not)
I didnt take pics of every rig on every trail, and I dont think you guys want to see every other rig that I DID take pics of, so I'll keep it to the unique, well modified, or strictly XJ.

My buddies Metal Cloak clad TJ, and a stretched and heavily modified CJ that we ran with last year.

Trail conditions were perfect. Roads were a little dusty, but the trails were just barely moist. This is the first time in 2 years that I was able to wheel on dry terrain.

We XJ's TRIED to stick together throughout the day:

(the yota in the background somehow snuck into our group at some point)

It was the maiden voyage for this JK

Decided to post up on a rock for lunch:

The CJ Played in the rocks during lunch, good times!

Our group leader even got his LJ up into the rock for a little session:

Found this vista, and just had to stop for a photo op - this is my new favorite pic:

We made our way via Saddle Up over to Airplane Hill, and it was sad to see what they have done with it. I've actually been on rougher sections of road in North Portland. the stump that took out my quarter and header panel was dislodged/moved/cut/ i dunno, but it certainly wasnt the same - I got a monocome of joy from that, but it ended there.
Everyone made it thru the filter to airplane hill, Unfortunatley this guy ended up grenading his rear diveline U-joint (snapped off the bolts in the yoke) and sperated the cover from the diff to boot.

Here's one of the other XJ's makin it thru the filter.

The CJ (and our group leader) were the only ones to try airplane hill. They both pulled cable.
The rest of us took the bypass.

Coming out of airlplane hill through the upper filter:

One of the YJ's in our group gettin all twisted up:

The dust was previlent in great amounts out on the roads......

....But the views were well worth it:

Hogsback was uneventful, we ran it in its entirety, and I think we may have called it a day after that.
Getting back to camp I headed straight for the beer cooler (priorities afterall) and then grabbed some free grub from the chuckwagon on site. Grabbed some more beers and made my way to the raffle site. - I won a $100 gift certificate to Stripe Line - A vinyl graphics company. So I can put a racing stripe down the XJ if I want now! - yea....., not so much.
We drank beer, compared photo's and stories from the day for the rest of the night back at the tents.

The next morning our group had downsized a bit, and we had some other rigs there too.

I dont remember EXACTLY what the trail route was (in order) for the second day.
I know we went in at Jordan's Creek, and ran Archer's for like half the day.
At one point we stopped at (what I think is called) the rock garden. Only a few guys attempted it, but gave us all a great show doing so:

Eric and his CJ gave us a couple awesome wheel stands:

Marv in his 99 gave it a go, but in the end couldn't conquer it:

I dont knwo what was going on here, he never lost a bead, but the rim was sticking out farther than the tires were all day. In this pic, he's actually resing ON the lip of the wheel:

Gratuitus pic of mine:

We moved on to waterfall.... no issues for me this time going thru the filter (my tie rod is still intact)...and since it was dry (more or less) I walked right up it. After all the issues I had last time I was litterally jumping for joy after that obsticle. (sorry no pics from my camera.)
The CJ went up the far left side face:

Everyone else who opted to run Waterfall chose the "normal" path:

Canopener was where we stopped for lunch, and it was uneventful. No one wanted to play, and there wasn't any buggies up there flogging around.
Rocky uphill was our last trail for the day, i remember that because the last time I was on it (going UP) a river was pouring down the whole trail, and it was nothing but a foot deep of snotty mud, and rocks. This time it was dry, and I was able to play around, try different lines, and take a more technical route. It was a blast. I did take a video (holding the camera out the window) but I maxed out my memory card about half way up.
We made our way down the mountain afer that, no carnage, all having had a great time.
We broke camp after getting backm, and made the long trek home.

Back