• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RC 4.5 w/ Add a leafs

OCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Okay Naxja,
so for my graduation present my mom is spending about 400 to 500 dollars for a lift kit on my 2000 2wd XJ. so i want to get a complete kit. Ive been looking at lift kits and the RC 4.5 caught my eye. for the price and the easy install i havent really found anything else that can beat it. I just want everyones personal opinion on this kit, pros and cons, or if they have any other ideas on what i should get. id love to get the full leaf packs but i dont do a lot of wheeling at the moment, mostly because its 2wd :) I know i need to get a new track bar and i was looking at the adjustable one from RC. along with that i have 31 yokohamas so i think it will look pretty decent without upgrading my tire size to 32s.
Let me know your 2 cents NAXJA
Thanks,
Alec

i think most of the criticisms of RC kits comes from those who use and abuse their rigs offroad, in situations that would wear out ANY kit at some point.

For a 2wd rig that see's mostly street use, and is being put on mostly for the "look", some light trail riding, and maybe some desert go-fast stuff, I think you'll be pleased with the quality of that kit.

Honestly, with that lift, a good set of tires, a winch, and a rear locker like a detroit or an ARB, I'd bet that your rig would do 80% of the trails that you'd find fun. It'd certainly be capable of mobbing it up out in the desert.

-Cheers!

p.s. Nothing wrong with lifting a 2wd, IMO. A lifted jeep is a lifted jeep and looks sick no matter what. :) Plus you get the benefits of sitting higher in traffic, avoiding road hazards/debris on the highway, etc. Just be careful of your higher propensity to roll due to a higher COG, (basically, don't drive it like a knucklehead) and you'll be golden.

Hello I'm new here and in oc as well just got a 01 xj it has a rustys 3 inch and good year dura trac I will be removing all of it in the next couple weeks.

@ SanDiegoOverland Thats exactly what i needed to hear. perfect. ya i do some local trails here but definetely no rock crawling. im into that desert go-fast kind of stuff you were talking about. I like the look of the front being a little bit higher. will the add a leafs still give me some good clearance? the only thing im worried about with those full leafs is that it will be higher in the front than in the rear

I run a 4.5 on my 90 wagoneer. After a year 1/2 without any offroading the bushings in the lower control arms got shot. I just replaced them this year but had to buy a new set of control arms because I was told that there were no more parts for the old kit. Now my bushings on the leaf springs are making this nasty loud noise. They are shot also. Called in again and was told that they are pressed in and can't be replaced. I need to buy a new set of leaf springs. As for any other component, nOthjnh has broken on me. Kit does have easy installation but again, bushings suck. I would go with Rustys.

Can't you get 31's to fit less lift?

Less lift means lower cost and less likelihood of needing other upgrades due to lift. That also leaves more budget for quality and other more usefull upgrades.

since you are on 31s i will go ahead and recommend a 3" kit. you will be less prone to needing a SYE or transfer case drop, and since you only have the funds for a lift this should be safer for you. plus, we're only talking an inch of lift difference here. you also might be able to afford a full leaf pack with a 3" kit vs. a 4"

Desert go-fast can be just as hard, if not harder, on suspension parts than rock crawling. Your best money will be in putting together your own lift, buying stuff from the classifieds here and on other forums.

Desert go-fast can be just as hard, if not harder, on suspension parts than rock crawling. Your best money will be in putting together your own lift, buying stuff from the classifieds here and on other forums.

This is a good suggestion, too, definitely. It's how I've sourced the suspension stuff I currently have on my XJ. Very good deals to be had.

I think though, that his mom is probably asking him what he'd like as a gift. I kinda doubt she'd be willing just to hand over $500.00 for him to spend as he see's fit.

Then again, it MIGHT be a fun mother/son thing to shop online and pick out parts together?

Barring that, I don't think he can go wrong with the RC kit as single point purchase. I didn't think about his rig needing an sye because as I understand it, doesn't he NOT have a transfer case? That being said, wouldn't his driveshaft be super long, lessoning the need for a SYE?

Would a traditional SYE even work for him? I've never actually seen a 2WD tranny.

Last edited:

x2 to what he said....

with constant watching on the classifieds, a buddy picked up a set of 4.5 coils, full leaf set, and fixed lower control arms for like $100... he then put some Zone shocks with it (which ended up sucking) and he was lifted for something like 250. he re-drilled the track bar hole to make that work, but if your budget is 400-500, i think you could put together a decent kit for cheap... i am always seeing coils on here, short arms are around too.... you could do a bastard pack for the rear pretty easily... look at your options before you just go buy a kit.

good luck

x2 to what he said....

with constant watching on the classifieds, a buddy picked up a set of 4.5 coils, full leaf set, and fixed lower control arms for like $100... he then put some Zone shocks with it (which ended up sucking) and he was lifted for something like 250. he re-drilled the track bar hole to make that work, but if your budget is 400-500, i think you could put together a decent kit for cheap... i am always seeing coils on here, short arms are around too.... you could do a bastard pack for the rear pretty easily... look at your options before you just go buy a kit.

good luck

He's....being...bought...a gift...lol. His mom wants to go to a website, click a button, and buy him something cool. Probably doesn't want to give him cash to buy used parts. you know?

Another option is buying Rubicon Express stuff from the Naxja Sponsor "Serious Offroad". 4.5" lift coils for 65 a pair and I believe their 4.5" leaf packs are 131 each. So for $327 + shipping you have full packs and coils. Use the leftover to grab some shocks to get you by for now, redrill your trak bar hole to center your axle, then pick up some Control arm drop kits down the road. Just my 2 pennies.

John

Damn, i got on a roll and completely missed that point. LOL

HA-ha, no worries. And like i said in an above post, I absolutely think that piecing together a lift is the best way to go if you're on a budget, (Like I am. :)) or don't mind taking your time and waiting for deals (like my like-new JKS quicker disco's I got for 1/2 price: score!)

At least this way, he'll have a good start to a build, and can replace any parts from that point that end up being sub-par.

Back