• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trac lok carrier and lunchbox lockers

bluejeepkid

NAXJA Forum User
What exactly about a limited slip carrier makes it not useable with a lunchbox locker? I know the opening in the carrier is generally smaller... But is it possible to remove the excess material to make the parts of the locker fit? Also, what about a mini spool? is it the same situation?
It's an xj 44 with trac lok that I have. I'm just curious about my options and I don't really have the extra scratch to pay for the gears to be swapped to an open carrier.

tia

Thanks, but doesn't exactly answer the question.

The space in the carrier is actually larger, to make room for the fibers and steels. I have heard it is possible to use some of the steel shims to take up the difference, but it is not advised as the carrier is even weaker than an open one.

Hope that helps.

Edit: This is the case for the 8.8Ls, may be different for others

Last edited:
pretty sure its a totally different carrier than the carrier used to house the open carrier spider gears. So I think you are screwed about the money, lock the front instead....

pretty sure its a totally different carrier than the carrier used to house the open carrier spider gears. So I think you are screwed about the money, lock the front instead....

Front is already locked lol. Maybe ill just weld the rear for now and save the dough for later

Thanks, but doesn't exactly answer the question.

How so? Your question was why you cant use a lunchbox locker with said carrier, so I showed you a lunchbox locker that fits...

Is the trak lok slipping? Why not just rebuild the LS unit for cheap so its all new, and you have the front locked... should get you just about anywhere

Be aware that most (if not all) of the Trac Lok carriers that came in original XJ/MJ D44s used cross shafts that are retained with circlips....not the usual roll pin....and are not compatible with the No-Slip lockers.

Ask me how I know......

Hans

This is the universal solution, or duct tape... D44, LS carrier, Lunchbox locker, No slip hardened pin...tack both sides once or even twice each of your paranoid about it

lockerin44.jpg

This is the universal solution, or duct tape... D44, LS carrier, Lunchbox locker, No slip hardened pin...tack both sides once or even twice each of your paranoid about it

lockerin44.jpg

This is what i was looking for. So, I can strip the guts out of the carrier, and install the locker, as long as I can secure the roll pin, I should be ok?
Also, do you think an Aussie would fit? Id prefer to use one of those

Back