• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96' XJ fuel sender

PowerRam1987

NAXJA Forum User
so i'm all flipped out. can't find one ANYWHERE for under $350. i understand its a one year thing bc my jeep is old body style with a steel tank and the first year of OBD II. so basically i have all different wires/plugs and can't splice anything bc i have 6 wires i believe and 95-down have 2 or 3.

not gonna explain my saga for a SENDING UNIT and trying to keep the old POS from leaking. i need a new unit bc the top is rotted and does not fit properly in my brand new tank and leaks everywhere despite the perfectly placed seal and lock ring.

ONLY THING I FOUND CHEAP:
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1996/jeep/cherokee/fuel_delivery/fuel_pump.html
that was with google searching- i'm leary of thius bc it says fuel pump but shows a sending unit although it isnt the exact part

ebay is useless all for GRAND cherokees

have you tried Jeeps Unlimited in RI? They usually have a few used setups on their ebay page that go for pretty cheap.

Your only bet is a junk yard search or E-Bay. I have a 96 and feel your pain.I was lucky and found 2,,,,,,,No I,m not getting rid of any.

partshotline.com

Had this exact problem on my 96. No real solution, what I did was I threw in a 97+ tank and sender assembly and spliced wires for the pump, I did get the gauge to work but it read 1/2 tank lower than it should have and wasn't accurate because the resistance ranges are different. It did get me running again though.

Other thing you can do is bribe one of the SEC, RRC, AZ chapter, or SoCal guys to go to the junkyard and pull you a rust free '96 sender. Or maybe buy a 95 sender and use it for the metal frame, just swap all the electronics and pump bits etc onto it, you'll have a spare tube going through the bulkhead that you will need to block off and I'm not sure the tubes and brackets inside the tank match up well but it's worth a try.

The real problem is with the fuel pressure regulator thats part of the hanger assembly. I could not find any replacement.
In my case the internal wiring was going bad,had wire burn off to the pump.

only had 1 useable 96' sender at the salvage yard i work at and it was in my cherokee i drive there everyday so that wasn't happening haha. so i ended up calling jeeps unlimited-payed way too much for a used pump. they couldn't give two XXXXs about XJ parts there any other time (throwing away good stuff every day and saving rotted YJ tubs). but on the bright side i have an XJ buddy that works there and he brought it to me haha

how'd you fit a 96 foot fuel sender in the tank? :spin1:

Glad you got it covered.

My son just told me that "jeep rock star" has one for sale $88. on
E-bay .
stores.ebay.com/jeeprockstar

Back