• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C compressor won't kick on.

OnorOffroad

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ. Looked through the boards, but I haven't found what I'm looking for. I don't have an FSM and my Haynes doesn't have a trouble shooting section for A/C. I read in here that the relay might be a common cause, but I'm looking for other ideas so I don't have to make ten trips to the parts store, and ultimately I'm trying to avoid paying 600 bucks to an AC shop.

Thanks

Gauges

You really need to get a set of gauges on the system.

There is a low pressure cut out switch - not enough refrigerant and it won't run the compressor - saves it. Too high will also cut it out but rare unless overcharged.

I don't suggest those cans from the parts store either - they usually add too much oil and sealant is not advised.

I can't see a typical garage asking for much for just a gauge check - it's worth it to know both hi and low side pressures vs. current temp. Otherwise you're in the dark.

mine was undercharged and I got a refill can with a gauge. The gauge was the real reason I bought it. It was low so just added some more till the gauge read right and it's been running good since.

Back