• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Different Size tire question

995speed

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ AX15 4.0 4x4

The front tires on my XJ are totally bald and need replacing i have come to realize that i went to a bunch of local junkyards today looking around for tires the largest tires i were able to find that were still in decent condition were 30x9.50R15's. On the back i have brand new (not more than a few months old) 31x10.50R15's. now i have heard different size tires on a 4x4 will most certainly mess things up, but i just really need the truck to get to and from work about a 20 minute drive on pavement. I was wondering if i could get away with this in 2WD for a little while i have no plans of going off pavement anytime soon so will this work as long as i stay in 2WD or should i just leave my bald 31's?

You will be fine in 2wd.

JIM.

Yeah, 2wd will be fien. I ran 4.88 gears out back 3.55s up front for a few weeks until I could get the front regeared.

Hm. I guess so...

Not something I'd really worry about.

:dunno:

Robert

<Edit> Oh, replying to fava's "no chance" bit... Gotcha.

Well, if it happened the transfer case would make some not so good noises.

Yes it will. Went to engage 4wd once after getting off the highway and forgot I had unlocked my hubs before getting on the highway.

I agree, just don't switch into 4wd.

If the front shaft was out and he shifted into 4x4 while moving I don't think the transfer case would like that too much.

Unless he was stopped the rear output shaft would be moving and the front output would be stationary along with its associated gears.

What about the Renix era heeps that had vac-disco? The front output/d-shaft did not spin while driving, and you can engage the 4wd at speed.

Yes it will. Went to engage 4wd once after getting off the highway and forgot I had unlocked my hubs before getting on the highway.
What transfer case what that?
What about the Renix era heeps that had vac-disco? The front output/d-shaft did not spin while driving, and you can engage the 4wd at speed.
Thats a good question. I wonder why that doesn't complain.

99 XJ AX15 4.0 4x4

The front tires on my XJ are totally bald and need replacing i have come to realize that i went to a bunch of local junkyards today looking around for tires the largest tires i were able to find that were still in decent condition were 30x9.50R15's. On the back i have brand new (not more than a few months old) 31x10.50R15's. now i have heard different size tires on a 4x4 will most certainly mess things up, but i just really need the truck to get to and from work about a 20 minute drive on pavement. I was wondering if i could get away with this in 2WD for a little while i have no plans of going off pavement anytime soon so will this work as long as i stay in 2WD or should i just leave my bald 31's?

Your already running two different size tire dia. with bald on the front and new on the back. Throw the 30-9.5s on and and drive it. Stay out of 4wd.

From personal experience, I ran 31x10.5 in the rear with 30x9.5 in front on my '95. You don't have anything to worry about, even if you forget and go into 4wd for a short distance on the road. You will not hurt anything in the dirt. The difference in a 30 and a 31 is not big enough to hurt anything unless you really pound on it in 4low on pavement or rocks. a 30 with a 33 is a different story...

What transfer case what that?

242 tranfsercase in a '99. The front axle was a D44, so with hubs unlocked the front driveline from the driveshaft out was static. With the loud noises it made, I was quite surprise I didn't grenade the case. I was actually on my way home to replace the case anyways.

242 tranfsercase in a '99. The front axle was a D44, so with hubs unlocked the front driveline from the driveshaft out was static. With the loud noises it made, I was quite surprise I didn't grenade the case. I was actually on my way home to replace the case anyways.

Wasn't your 242 effed anyway?

I did the exact same thing in my XJ when I had the 44 in, aka shifted in/out of 4WD at speed with my front hubs unlocked.

Never heard a peep. But I also didn't do it at 60mph, I did it around 30mph.

There are synchros to engage the front output for a reason.

I also never had an issue with the vacuum disco setups. The front driveshaft doesn't move at all unless you put it in 4WD, and those are shift-on-the-fly.

Back