• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Saddle Up - Input and Design Thread

AwesomeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I figured I should start this thread sooner rather than later.

Our adopted trail in the tillamook state forest - saddle up is going to have upper trail re-routed due to rock harvesting operations in the hillside on which our trail is located. Since we will be re-routing the upper trail I think this would be an ideal time to make full modifications to not only the upper trail but to the rest of the trail as a whole. I will be meeting with Jahmaal Rebb from ODF in the comming week to make an assessment on the current trail condition and discuss ideas on the new route to take. I will also be in contact with Dave Hiatt to tap into his 30+ yrs of trail building knowledge and experience.

I want all of you to give your input on what you would like to see come out of this redesign. The aspects and or challenges you would like to be added and anything else.

Please keep the posts on topic as much as possible.

Now let's hear 'em.

Re: Saddle Up input and design thread.

I would love to add a restroom with toilet paper

That is all.

Lets keep the difficulty rating about the same as it is.
Perhaps bring in some larger rock - not necessarily boulders.... but a larger grade similar to what is seen on FB5 or Rocky Uphill. (?)
Would it be possible to widen it? ....Giving the opportunity for different lines up the same trail...
(just throwing ideas around here)

Lets keep the difficulty rating about the same as it is.
Perhaps bring in some larger rock - not necessarily boulders.... but a larger grade similar to what is seen on FB5 or Rocky Uphill. (?)
Would it be possible to widen it? ....Giving the opportunity for different lines up the same trail...
(just throwing ideas around here)

Agreed. I would like to see a section of either loose rock or a log crawl on the upper trail. I would also like to see more off camber sections of the non hill climb end.

I like the Log Crawl idea too....(might be more maintenance over the long run though.)

How bout some pavement? That thing is rough! Makes my Michael Jackson's Greatest Hits cd skip.

So we have the option of not only a slight re-route, but a possible LENGTHENING of the trail as well? As in perhaps the opportunity to have two (or more) completely different sections with different difficulty levels, and a bypass for good measure?
If this is the case the options are almost endless.....

So we have the option of not only a slight re-route, but a possible LENGTHENING of the trail as well? As in perhaps the opportunity to have two (or more) completely different sections with different difficulty levels, and a bypass for good measure?
If this is the case the options are almost endless.....

This has not been ruled out as a possibility yet. Something like this would depend on a lot of varying factors like volunteer power and equipment and fuel.

You heard the man guys!
Time to start beating the donation/volunteer drum!
When it comes time to start surveying the lay of the land and laying down some flags and stuff, ...I'm in!

OK site inspection of the trail With Jahmaal Rebb is scheduled for Sat. 28th of Jul. at 1:30pm AT Saddle Up. I would like to get a few others that in interested in helping in this project to head out there with me in the mid morning for some very very easy going wheeling then meet with Jahmaal at 1:30 then perhaps run some harder trails on the way out. I will post up in Stagging area.

I was at the Jolly Jeepers run all weekend, and Sat. morning when our group was staging up at Rogers, we ran into Mike & Randy from the forestry service. I forgot their official titles, but took a few minutes to talk to them specifically about this whole thing. Neither one of them are happy about the way the trail has been filled in, and how it all happened. They are however very excited and more than a little supportive about our efforts, plan of action, and the general interest so far with the desire to improve, re-develop and move forward as fast as possible with this project. They mentioned that Jahmaal Rebb is one of the best things to happen to the TSF, and that we're in good company working with him.
All in all, that's a lot of positive feedback, coming from (what I understand) a couple of rather influential people in the right places.
I have some prior engagements Saturday, (unfortunately) ...but if I can juggle things around successfully I may be able to make it up there for the meeting wit Jahmaal.

Im going to try to make it but I need to find some one to cover towing for like 2 hours so I can leave early for the drive up there.

OK site inspection of the trail With Jahmaal Rebb is scheduled for Sat. 28th of Jul. at 1:30pm AT Saddle Up. I would like to get a few others that in interested in helping in this project to head out there with me in the mid morning for some very very easy going wheeling then meet with Jahmaal at 1:30 then perhaps run some harder trails on the way out. I will post up in Stagging area.

Hey you have my number the gf and I might roll up there. shoot me a text I can't find your number. we probably wont be wheeling, but would like to be involved.

What time do you think you will be up in TSF? Im heading to Pacific City for that weekend, but if timing works I can swing buy.

Back