• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HOUSEHOLD ANTI SEIZE SUBSTITUTE?

NeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey - just in a bit of a time pinch and need to get the new sparkies in for the emissions test before the joint closes... and just pulled the first plug after a HECK of a struggle - oil coating the threads didn't help last time I guess. These things were BAKED in there - and squeaked and complained all the way out. Is there something I can use as an anti seize substitute that can be commonly found around the house? Like vaseline? or...?

Vaseline won't do much for long, too thin. Graphite might work a bit, but is not likely to stay, and you don't want to get anything on the electrodes. Graphite grease is probably just as bad as any other grease. It is hard on any spark plug to find something that will not cook away and leave something like glue. INterestingly, NGK recommends no anti-seize at all, saying it leads to overtightening, and that their threads have some special plating. In any case, it's probably worse to use the wrong stuff than none at all.

Have never used it on plugs. Never had a problem getting them back out. Anytime you apply anti-sieze, or any thread lubricant, it affects the torque.

Clean the threads out with a wire brush. Also, before you install the new ones, put something in the plug hole, and clean around it to prevent knocking junk into the cylinder.

Last edited:
okay thanks - I settled on nothing - I was only thinking this because I had a BEAR of a seized plug in a messed up cylinder... never had to use a breaker bar on a plug before!!!!

I always use a tiny amount of anti seize. In your situation I would had just put them back in and planned to pull them back out later and apply some anti seize rather than try to use something else. Being in there for a short time would not let them start to seize up.

get a spark plug thread chaser and use it on the problem plug bore. It's probably got threads full of crap and/or full of chewed up sparkplug threads.

Gotcha! Sorry for the tripple post, "smart" phones, you know.
I second going back and adding anti sieze when you can, makes getting them out next time a one hand on the ratchet affair.

Maalox, really, I'm not kidding. Try it!

uhhhhh.....

Back