• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

heading to junkyard to look for 8.25 today, few questions...

FleXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
At lunch today going to look for an 8.25 to replace my D35.

-I have an 01, do I have to get a 97+ 8.25?
-Did all the 97+ 8.25s have 29 splines, & will a 27 spline work worst case?
-I am pretty sure I have 3:55s, did all XJs come with the same gears?
-do all the brake lines/shocks line up, or is there fabbing?
-Do I need to get the driveshaft?

Thanks

3.07's in manuals and 3.55's were in the automatics ... look for a non ABS axle for the 8.25.
Brake lines should mate up as I've never been asked which axle or GVW when buying rear brake parts, just the year.
the drive shaft is a little shorter for the 8.25 axles yes, so grab one while you are at it.

you will no longer have ABS function just so you know.

96 was mix and match, some had 27spl, some had 29 spl. I would pull a shaft to double check.

Yes a 27 spl will work, still an upgrade over the 35, can always change to a 29 spline carrier later on.

Auto XJ's with the 4.0 should all have 3.55's, again pull the cover and divide the ring gear teeth by the pinion teeth, who knows what the PO did, and you will want to check the internals anyway.

Brakelines/shocks should be the same

Depending on your lift situation, you may need the driveshaft, the pinion is longer on the 8.25

Ever considered an 8.8?

Just scored an 8.25 off a 97. Doing hack and tap at same time so driveshaft not an issue. thanks for advice. I live in Florida and have to drive far to even get a few rocks, so 8.25 will be enough over the 35.

can convert the 8.25 later. I never had an issue with my 27spl 8.25, it was just cheaper to get an 8.8 already geared

I have a set of ZJ discs in my garage right now I got on a parts trade going on. Plus this already has leaf perches and the 3:55s I need,

you're going to need shims to align the pinion when you install the SYE but other than that you should be good to go.

I'm curious as to why everyone knee jerk suggests the 8.8. As far as I can tell you need to cut damn near everything bracket wise off of the axle then get all new stuff welded on to match up with the jeep mounting points. That sounds like a huge pile of work compared to rolling one axle out, roll the other in, attach brake lines, parking brake cables, different driveshaft and you're done. Heck if you want to have discs wouldn't it be easier to do that liberty brake swap too rather than an entire axle?

I'm a cost vs. gain kinda guy.

as far as cost vs. gain: you get more splines (31 vs. 29)
Disc brakes
larger tubes
a decent LS
and 4.10 gears, for the same price.

But i dont mind a little cutting and welding....

Aren't the 8.8's tubes 3" the same as a 8.25?
If you want to lock either axle it's best to get an open diff anyway

You'll also need a yoke adapter for the 8.8

And the big problem, around here anyway, is everyone thinks the 8.8 is made of gold and prices them accordingly ...

3.25" tubes, although welding them to the centersection is not a bad idea.

the 4.10 with an open carrier did exist, but they are difficult to find.

I like the 8.25

I like the 8.25" myself, the spin-up backlash adjustment and sturdy design have served me very well.

This thing went 12.04 on an 8.25" (admittedly I built a ladder bar and 9" for it later running 10.92)
xe-sc-ext4.jpg

Back