• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Box Brace

The bumper looks pretty nice, too.

people have been going back and forth with which is better for a while either the plate or the arm coming from the opposite frame rail mounting the the steering box...I think both like lazyxj recommended might be a little over kill and not entirely necessary. You can go for the plate however if you plan on upgrading to a winch bumper like a lot of us do or (non winch) you might just want to save your pennies a little longer and just do that and find a winch you like...a good deal of them out their come with a plate similar to C-Rocks....it's up to you....another issue I have with the arm from kevinsoffroad.com is that over time the frame does twist and tweak a little if your not running stiffeners so you would be putting the force coming from the frame through that stabilizer bar right to the gear box which will cause problems over time even with that little tab they added to tie in the gear box side frame rail.....all in all my opinion would be C-Rock plate or buy a bumper and if you like the stock bumper look detours offers the backbone which also incorporates the plate similar to c-rocks...I'd stay away from the bar it can be a bit of a bitch to put on as well

Last edited:
p.I think both like lazyxj recommended might be a little over kill and not entirely necessary. l

I started with the C-ROK plates but could still see the steering box move side to side a little when the steering wheel was rocked back and forth. The cross brace eliminated the movement. Bending a unibody will eventually cause cracks. I have been running this combination for many years with zero problems. I found the installation of all the parts to be simple and straightforward. YMMV

Since from the pictures you can not tell if this homemade brace does perform as expected, can you - Jeep owners let me know what brace is onboard your rigs (Rusty's, C-rok, Curie, homemade etc) and if you are happy with it.

I presume that frames are reinforced before installing steering box brace.

thx

Since from the pictures you can not tell if this homemade brace does perform as expected, can you

How could it not? It's beefier than most of the aftermarket ones.

Even the cheapies on ebay look like they'd make a world of difference. It ain't rocket science...it's a clamp, a bar, and a plate.

Back