• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 cherokee sport rear wiper veeerry slow..

Chrisp929

NAXJA Forum User
Is my motor going ? I tried the wiper the other day for the first time in a while. The glass was wet from rain and only a little dirty. The wiper crested the arch and stopped at 90 degrees. I got out and helped it go over the hump. Afterwards it works now but only barely.
I should note that it was never very fast to begin with when i got it in december new to me.
Is this common and is there a NAXJA fix for this or am i looking at a replacement only ?
Any idea as to cost and ease of replacement ?
Thanks !

The first thing that slows down a motor is corrosion in the long and poorly lubricated bearing on the output shaft (the shaft that the wiper arm attaches to). You may be able to extend its life by mauallly helping it to rotate some, to loosen it up, but it's temporary. It will kill the motor if you start it and it doesn't go through its cycle fast enough. If it hangs up without parking, it will burn out unless you turn off the ignition.

Unfortunately these later motors are riveted together. You may be able to get some lube down the shaft from outside, but otherwise you'll likely be stuck either getting a new motor or removing the rivets. If you're patient and if you have a good drill press or mill, it's not hard to grind the heads off the rivets and replace them later with little bolts. A cylindrical metal-cutting dremel burr works, and if you're good, you may be able to do this freehand.

Once you open the motor, you need only remove the output shaft from the housing, clean and lube it, and it will run nicely again.

The first thing that slows down a motor is corrosion in the long and poorly lubricated bearing on the output shaft (the shaft that the wiper arm attaches to). You may be able to extend its life by mauallly helping it to rotate some, to loosen it up, but it's temporary. It will kill the motor if you start it and it doesn't go through its cycle fast enough. If it hangs up without parking, it will burn out unless you turn off the ignition.

Unfortunately these later motors are riveted together. You may be able to get some lube down the shaft from outside, but otherwise you'll likely be stuck either getting a new motor or removing the rivets. If you're patient and if you have a good drill press or mill, it's not hard to grind the heads off the rivets and replace them later with little bolts. A cylindrical metal-cutting dremel burr works, and if you're good, you may be able to do this freehand.

Once you open the motor, you need only remove the output shaft from the housing, clean and lube it, and it will run nicely again.

Thats the answer i was lookin for. Thanks !

Back