• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sealt belt latch woes

wgregt

NAXJA Forum User
88 XJ LTD. For the second time in the past few years, the driver's male seat belt latch (the part between the seats) no longer grabs the belt part. WTF?

Anyone know the reason why these things fail? Rebuildable? Is there a spring inside it that loses tension to hold the belt part in or something? I went 250k with the OEM one, and only about 20k on this one.

Mine is in a charcoal/grey plastic holder and the strap is the same grey color in case anyone has one they want to get rid of. I'm thinking the grey plastic sleeve slides off though.

The sleeve comes off.

The spring wears out. I have one now that I need to replace. Just grab another one.

^^ what he said. go to the parts yard and spend 5 minutes pulling one off. i've had to replace both fronts twice. if you want the drivers side to last longer grab one from the passenger side of another jeep. the passenger side tends to get used much less and they are exactly the same. :thumbup:

^^ what he said. go to the parts yard and spend 5 minutes pulling one off. i've had to replace both fronts twice. if you want the drivers side to last longer grab one from the passenger side of another jeep. the passenger side tends to get used much less and they are exactly the same. :thumbup:

Grimm! Genius idea, my friend. Will do. Still in SoCal after the skool thing?

yeah I graduated a little over a year ago, freelancing now. :wave1:

did you ever get your leaking roof sorted out? i've got a 94 2 door now that's doing the same thing lol.

yeah I graduated a little over a year ago, freelancing now. :wave1:

did you ever get your leaking roof sorted out? i've got a 94 2 door now that's doing the same thing lol.

Yeah, I did. The new well nuts with new rubber, and some roof caulking tar around them on the inside to help with the waterproofing seemed to do the job. You really need to drop the headliner and have a friend hold the nut on the inside while you install them from the roof in order to be 100% sure they grab tight. I tried a few ways around doing it this way, but couldn't cut any corners, unfortunately.

Looks like I'm on my way back to Pick-A-Part this weekend!

Back