• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing Transfer Case Chain

lweiman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1991 Jeep Cherokee base model, 4.0 L, 5 speed manual tranny, not sure which model transfer case it is, but it has 4 lo and hi.

I have pinned down a problem I am having to being a stretched transfer case chain. (I have looked through thread after thread on this website and I am SURE that it is the transfer case chain being stretched out)

I am motivated to get in there and change that stretched out chain. so here are some questions to you that have replaced stretched transfer case chains and know your way around the transfer case.

1.) Where should I purchase my new transfer case chain? I am in college and am frugal as shit so i want the best I can get for the lowest amount of money I can spend

2.) I was told I do not have to drop the whole transfer case to get in and swap out the chain. IS THAT TRUE? I don't want to spend any extra time with this repair because this jeep is my only source of transportation, and having it out for a day of repair is bad enough

3.) What other parts in the transfer case may be damaged due to the stretched chain? At high speeds I hear a whining grinding sound coming from the t case and i think it may be the chain grinding on somthing due to being stretched. SO: which parts are liable to be damaged? where are they located? and what do they look like (I dont know shit about what these transfer cases look like on the inside, or any transfer case for that matter. A picture of a job you have done in the transfer case would do so much justice)

Thank you for reading this whole post and taking time to respond

Im 18 years old with a mechanical mind and will be able to do anything to fix my baby so long as you tell me the process of doing so STEP BY STEP. This is my first jeep, and I want to treat it with love, as I am sure you all understand

0) find the red label on the transfer case and clean it, then look for 231 or 242

1) rockauto has cloyes chains, cheap. they are misfiled under automatic transmission, drive chain. buy the right one for your transfer case. google here for part number, number of links, etc

2) yes

3) you'll want to replace the rear output seal, otherwise just look for stuff that may be a problem

chain is easy to do the hardest part is geting the nut off the front output yoke. all ull need for the 231 is a1 1/8 socket or 29m, 8m wrench. 15m wrench and socket, and 12 point 10m. the whining sounds like a dry bearing or oil pump but wont know for sure on wat all u need till u open it. i just did my 3rd chain yesterday. oriely has them $60. check jeep4x4center.com for complete break downs.
after
Photo0244.jpg

before
Photo0243.jpg

I watched some videos online how to do it, and I have a pretty good understanding of what to do. There are some plastic pieces that go on the fork selector on the inside of the transfer case, and I am sure mine need replacing. When I was at oreilly autoparts today, we looked on their computer system and I could not find what those pieces are called.

does any body know what the plastic sleeves for the selector fork inside the transfer case are called, and or a part number for oreilly to look up?

I am also thinking the oil filter inside my transfer case needs replacing, because it is in the way of the chain and no doubtedly it got destroyed in the grinding process. I need to know what the technical name for that oil filter part is called, and/or a product number for that as well

never mind, i just checked out jeep4x4center.com's awesome site lol I now know what EVERY SINGLE PART in the transfer case is called haha

Back