• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie here......

JeepN4kc

NAXJA Forum User
What's up to everyone in XJ land? Been scouring the stickies and search button trying to learn the ins and outs of my new-to-me rig. 2001 XJ Sport, RC 4.5", 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, AW4, NP231, D30/29 spline Chrysler 8.25. The front fenders were already done but, along with some moderate body work and rust abatement on lower doors and rocker panels, I got the rear fenders trimmed and rear quarters cut&folded thanks to threads on here ;-) !

I have a TnT Customs belly pan that I'm gonna combine with the unibody stiffeners but I have a question about the tcase/rear drive. The RC lift on it has a tcase drop (spacers between the crossmember and rails). The belly pan will eliminate this as it will replace the crossmember. After reading through the stickied 4wheel-parts articles it appears I'm lookin at a sye for the rear if I eliminate the tcase drop? This rig is gonna be a trail rig with very limited on-road use (couple miles at a time to work or store from time to time - not a dd by any means). My question is how critical is the elimination of the tcase drop for the belly pan install - will it cause the sye/rear shaft replacement to be a must right away?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
it's kinda tough to tell without seeing the pinion angle or getting a measurement off of it. I would say you'll want to fit the SYE pretty soon, but for slow, short trips it'll probably be "o.k."

I know the '96+ transfer case slip yoke has a tendency to vibrate more than the older style, but not having one precludes me from giving any definite experience with them.

^^^ Thank you. That is pretty much what I've been coming up with over on JF and reading more. I did procure a stock front ds from a '00 XJ sport, AW4, 231 tcase just yesterday. So, I'm half way to the sye when I move forward with it. I'm just trying to get a gauge of whether it's a sooner than later or later than sooner type thing. Thanks for the input.

Back