• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maybe this is too basic but...

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Today I decided to get the Heep up in the air and have a look at the rear brakes, because when I first got it the guy that I took it to for inspection said that the rears were waaaay out of adjustment and that's why my fronts were wearing out. I know he adjusted them, but I wanted to get in there myself and put some anti-seize on the threads of the star wheels so they'd actually work properly.

Well, so far today I've managed to a) get the parking brake adjuster freed up (what a PITA!) b) get both rear drums off (explanation below) and c) get one of the drums cooking in my electrolytic deruster so I can hit it with some caliper paint. (yeah, I know, it's ricer, but I like my stuff neat.)

Reason for this post - I could not find a "magic screwdriver" anywhere that would release the self adjusters to allow the drums to come off. I got one off with a little persuasion, but the other was so tight/the ridge was so big that it wasn't happening. Finally I found something that would work - a short length of 14AWG THHN to release the self adjuster and a regular brake spoon to spin the star wheel.

Sometimes the simplest tools actually work...

Back