• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 231 output yoke bolts

mako my day

NAXJA Forum User
What size and where can I get 4 bolts that go through the yoke, and into the driveshaft female spicer?
(did I describe these parts correctly? I need to attach my front ds to my tc.

Last edited:
IIRC it 5/16-24 x 1 1/4"

devil is correct, they are 5/16. mcmaster-carr has them with 12pt small heads on them, i just put a set on last weekend.

you need a bolt with a small head on it, a standard bolt is going to be too big to get in there and get a wrench on.

you need a bolt with a small head on it, a standard bolt is going to be too big to get in there and get a wrench on.

:bs:

I have regular Gr8 bolts on my yokes on my Stak now and used to have them on my old 231. Never had a problem getting a 1/2" wrench in there.

you'll never get a box wrench on it, but an open end, maybe.

I'd probably use 12pts, they fit perfectly into the proper size (5/16 if you get a reduced-head bolt like the factory puts on) gearwrench, which makes removing those bolts simple.

Are they not a Metric thread ? I know I had trouble finding a set not long ago and everything standard at NAPA did not work in those sizes. They were " really " close and might have worked if I forced it some but I couldn't get anything standard to thread in by hand. I know the measurements I got from the stealer were a weird metric size. I would have to wait till Monday to call and get the numbers again.

Note from DJ
No information post as to the year of your XJ?
But hear is a link that might help
Info from 5-90 W-site look at the first line.
http://www.kelleyswip.com/screws.html

Or if you want to be exact look at this post:
Front Driveshaft TC end bolt size
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1069531
OP by ezmoney333 on 9-2-2011
My 96XJ front driveshaft is the double cardigan type. Anybody know what size bolts are used on the TC end of the driveshaft? For some reason the previous owner had it removed when I got it and the bolts are missing. Thanks

they are certainly not metric thread. I don't even know how you'd end up with metric thread on a part Spicer's been making for decades with no real changes.

they are certainly not metric thread. I don't even know how you'd end up with metric thread on a part Spicer's been making for decades with no real changes.

I questioned it because the way the part numbers were given, I.E. not in standard sizes.

24x1x.170x.312

I got that from another site but it's the same numbers I was given a while back I believe. I don't speak bolt in those terms so anyone else wanna translate ? :D

that's odd.

.312 is inches, and actually means .3125, which is 5/16.

24 is the TPI number - 24 threads per inch.

1 is how long... 1" I guess. I thought they were 1.25", one I'm holding right now measures that :dunno:

.170... can't think of what that'd be. If it was .270, maybe head height?

Jeep parts catalogs are stupid sometimes. I see 7/16 washers listed as .437 all the time, 5/16 stuff as .312, etc. In other places, they give normal bolt specs, such as 5/16-24.

Back