• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting to 5x5/wj brakes

90XJay

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
After a bit of searching I haven't come up with my answer. So here is my dilemma. I have a 2000 xj. I want to turn it into a nice clean looking dd on 245x70x16s. I bought a set of rims and sheepishly didn't check the bolt pattern. So I really do like these rims and I like alot of the 5x5 style jeep rims available and had wanted to do wj brakes up front and zj disc and the back (just picked up a full zj rear disc brake setup from the same guy as the rims). Now is there a way to make the fronts and rears 5x5 without adapters (I don't like using them if I can do it differently). In my searching I'm thinking maybe I can use most of the wj setup in the front with wj hubs and as far as the rears anyone know if there was a 5x5 pattern 8.25 equipped jeep I could steel shafts from? Any thoughts/links would be greatly appreciated.

For the front, I believe WJ unit bearings can be used? If there's enough surface area, a set of 8.25 shafts drilled for 5x5? Or afthermarket? I want to say there are aftermarket shafts that are setup for 5x4.5 and 5x5

I'll prolly just try to grab a whole wj 30 and take what parts I need. Seams there are alot of different combinations that work. Ken suggested re-drilling the shafts and rotors. Didn't know if there was another way.

I believe WJ unit bearings can be used?

From what I remember, they can not be used. A XJ stub shaft isn't long enough to fit thru the WJ hub and get proper thread engagement on the nut.

It shouldn't be too bad to convert to 5x5 if you really wanted to, just redrill the front hubs and rear shaft flanges along with the rotors to match.

If you are keeping it a DD, why not just swap the whole WJ D30 in? Then you will only have to address the rear shaft/rotor bolt pattern. Redrilling the bolt pattern on rotors is not big deal, 2 can can be layed out and drilled in 30 minutes or less.

From what I remember, they can not be used. A XJ stub shaft isn't long enough to fit thru the WJ hub and get proper thread engagement on the nut.

It shouldn't be too bad to convert to 5x5 if you really wanted to, just redrill the front hubs and rear shaft flanges along with the rotors to match.

I think that the WJ stubs can be used, since basically the same axle?

If you are keeping it a DD, why not just swap the whole WJ D30 in? Then you will only have to address the rear shaft/rotor bolt pattern. Redrilling the bolt pattern on rotors is not big deal, 2 can can be layed out and drilled in 30 minutes or less.
I want to say there is a company or 2 that have make dual drilled rotors for 4.5 and 5. Do not remember where I saw tho. I want to say on the site for black magic pads?

Gotcha, never dug that deep into them......but I do like my WJ brakes and high steer!

Back