• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alloy shaft identification.

Forceful Llama

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a way to id aftermarket shafts by casting numbers or other means? I was at pick n pull and the shafts looked different than the stock ones I currently have. I'm gonna head back this weekend and try to grab a pic or 2 if they will help.

There's two different style yokes on factory shafts, you probably just saw the other version then what you have. Aftermarket shafts are machined for full circle clips and usually have the number of the alloy used on it, "4340".

The two types of stock shafts are easily identified.

The small U-joint shafts are used on the models with the disconnect motor on the pass side. The passenger side shaft is 2 pieces.

All other XJ models used the larger shafts, and the shafts are full length.

I have not found a way to identify alloy shafts by markings. 2 sets of alloy shafts I have had did not have markings. The 1st set was a Yukon, and the other was a Alloy USA shaft. Both were machined for full circle clips and the yokes were cleaner

Back