• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Water Pump

sgtpeeper

NAXJA Forum User
My lifetime Napa pump is preparing to fail after 55K, which according to my research is really good for a 4.0 aftermarket pump. Unfortunately, I cannot find my receipt, so I'm thinking about getting an OEM pump this time. I've seen a few recent posts either here or on the web about people getting OEM pumps from dealers, and the pumps are really no different than the Duralasts at AZ. I have a 97 XJ with a 4.0. Has anyone else experienced that? As I understand there is now a "value" line of Mopar parts, and that may have something to do with the problem. I'm looking at a $90 pump from moparonlineparts, or maybe make the drive to my local dealer.

Also, does anyone know who makes the OEM fan clutches these days?

Thank you for any responses.

My last 2 water pumps at AZ, the first one failed in less than 6 months as I recall, and the new one is working fine (over 2-3 years IIRC), but I think I switched brands at AZ, and got the better one. Both were new, neither was rebuilt. If you can find one built in Japan instead of China, go with Japan (Nippon?). But as I recall there was a visible difference in the two AZ brands.

I think the other contributor to my failures was incorrect belt tension. I bought the clicker at NAPA when I got the FlowKool. Do I believe FlowKool is worth it? No, cause I don't have data to say it is. All my other XJ's did not have water pump issues while I owned them and I have used the clicker on all of them to adjust belt tension.

Thank you for the responses. I have never had so much trouble making a part decision in my life. I went to NAPA yesterday to see their current new pumps, because I keep thinking there is a chance I'll find my receipt and get a free one from them. The pump is made by Gates, it looks solid, but stamped across the side of the box is "Made in China". The kiss of death. :) I don't know who made the one I bought in 2008 or where it was made.

Got bored and started researching water pumps. The only difference I can see is the design of the impeller.

OEM 5 blade.
OEM5blade.jpg

GMB Hi flow. They spot welded a plate to the OEM 5 blade. They have problems with these plates coming off.
GMBspot.jpg

FlowKooler, just like the GMB, but the plate is riveted on.
OEMandFlowKooler.jpg

Hesco hi-flow. A single piece 8 vane impeller machined from aluminum. My $.02, I would put out the money for this if going to a hi-flow water pump.

HescoWPside.jpg

Hescoimpeller.jpg

Hescoback.jpg

Last edited:
The front shaft bearing is the real problem. The AZ one I had that started to fail, was a wobble in the bearing or bearing mount. Could have been I had the belt a little too tight, but I think it was the bearing or bearing mount that was sloppy and failed. I compared the new one (also AZ, but a different brand) to the bad one, and I could see a difference in the bearing area, but I forget the details, except that the impeller was wearing on the face of the pump already due to the sloop in the bearing. I heard the noise while the engine was running at idle, and pulled the belt, and checked all the rotating items, and felt the loose shaft on the WP. Frankly I have more faith in the cheap pressed steel impeller than I do aluminum.

Just an update on this. I got my almost 4 year old NAPA pump off. It is the 42004. It is clearly made to a different standard than the current version 42004. It may even be made by a different company. The current one is made by Gates, in China, and looking at it, I'd only put it on if I was stranded and had no other option.

So, it might be off to see the dealer tomorrow, or order a hi flow after all. It's a DD, so I'm not sure I actually need a hi flow. I just want quality.

I would check AZ and see if they a better brand, and Rock Auto too.

Yeah, I think I'm going to Advance and AA tomorrow to inspect their pumps. I thought about Rock Auto, but I'm afraid their pumps are all potentially Chinese. They have an AC Delco, but I've heard even those are Chinese now. They have an actual Gates branded pump, but who knows? It's the same part number as the NAPA. On the other hand, I could just go with a good warranty, hope it lasts 2 or 3 years, then change it.... repeat in another 2 or 3 years.

Rock auto sometimes lists item's country of origin and has pictures of the actual branded part, showing quality differences. AA, AZ, NAPA, or O'reily's anyone of them may have a high quality HD water pump that is the good quality, just ask them what they have on the shelf, or see their online list first.

I bought a new (not rebuilt) Bosch water pump from Rock Auto. Supposedly the Bosch was the OEM pump for my 2001. I have to say that it looked identical to the OEM that I removed including the impeller.

I am reviving some water pump threads. I just noticed my 2 year old AZ water pump on my 87 has about 1/32" of thrust play now in the shaft, and the pully wobbles a little when the engine is running. I am wondering if the pully might be out of round, and where I might get a good one. Also wondering if a 1/32" of thrust play in the shaft bearing-seal is a problem or not. Will be looking at other pump sources as well this week.

So topic is still where to get a good quality pump standard duty.

How much shaft play, if any, is OK.

Has anyone had pulley problems on the WP pulleys, out of round, not flat, found a good source for a new one, or have a way to fix them...???

This is on my 87, the first pump I ever installed on it since buying it around 2006.

My 89 is on its second AZ water pump, developed too much shaft thrust play after 2-3 years or so.... and was replaced in Jan, 2012, but has been parked since its last fender bender :(

They were all new pumps.

I've been meaning to update this thread. Again, I have a 97 XJ with a 4.0. I went to AZ and to Advance like I said I would do. Got to AZ to look at the Duralast (new not reman) pump. Looked good visually, and based on that I would have no problems installing it. What is interesting is it appears to be the same exact pump as the one I bought from Napa four years ago. Has the half wing symbol on it, which I believe means it is made by Airtex. Of course, the current Napa pump is made by Gates, but in China.

Ultimately, I went with the GMB from Advance. FWIW, the reviews are mostly good for the Cherokee pump, but there are a lot more good reviews for the GMB for other model Jeeps. Plus, I got the pump for a little over $20 using a coupon.

So far so good. The pump visually looks just fine. The machining is all good. I've had no problems with it so far. Plus, I feel better that it says "Made in Thailand" rather than China. Well, maybe not. :)

As for the water pump pulley, I'm afraid I can't help with that. I think that is only a dealer part and the price is ugly for my 97 last I looked. BTW, if your year uses one, Dorman makes a water inlet pipe for the water pump, and it sells for less than $10. Seems like a quality product.

Back