• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing new frt axle seals--what else needs checking?

my2monkeys

NAXJA Member
Got these from Morris 4x4 on 4th of July sale for $6.00 Free Shipping.
picture.php

Can anyone tell me how to check the carrier bearings while the unit is out?

89 d-30 selectrac 416,000mi on assembly:wierd:

Only thing you can check on the bearings when the carrier is out is check for any odd wear marks, pits on the rollers, dead spots when you turn the bearing with a little pressure on it. Don't forget to inspect the race as well. If they have never been replaced at that many miles I think while out I would replace them. Might as well do the pinion bearings to.

Full set replacement only! If you don't, count on going back in soon!

I did a full bearing/seal replacement on my 98 d30. Cost about $90 for the kit. Needed help from a Jeep mechanic to remove and press the carrier bearings on. Pay close attention to the parts sequence and position when replacing the pinion bearings.

Have a big hammer handy, 5Lb should do it to remove the races in the axle housing.

Long and several socket extensions with the right size socket?
That worked for me, Check my build thread for all the pics and details as to how my install went, and how I did it. (some good tips and tricks in there as well) .....I also have a write up and a video in there about my unit bearings, what a bad one sounds/looks like, compared to a brand new one.

Back