• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle swap?

pokeyxj

NAXJA Forum User
My 2000 xj has the D35 with ABS. The ABS works good. Is there a stronger axle I can swap in that has ABS that will work with my syatem? I saw on another forum that someone had an 8.25 with ABS.

Last edited:
I can send you the shafts with tone rings and the backing plates with the sensors in them, for a Dana 44.

PM Me if interested.

Other then that, I think your stuck with the D35?

I have heard of someone converting to 3 channel ABS, and using the tone wheel on an 8.8. Cant remember where the writeup was though

I saw a write up on the D44 and pics of the 8.25. I'm thinking the 8.25 as there are more of them out there to fit the XJ. Should be similar to the D44 conversion i guess.

I have heard of someone converting to 3 channel ABS, and using the tone wheel on an 8.8. Cant remember where the writeup was though

That might be possible but wonder how the 54tooth stock tone ring differs the signal sent to the abs module when a much larger tone ring from the 8.8 sends signals.

As for using the 8.25, I dont know. I do know it takes putting the D44 axles in a lathe and turning down the neck so that the tone rings will press on.

i read somewhere the every other tooth must be cut from the tone wheel of the 8.8. For your ABS unit to work properly

but i have a question... why are you trying to keep the TERRIBLE ABS system that is in your jeep?

Its possible on an 8.25. Full thread here: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73521

What I did was have a small step machined into the axle shaft. Then had a spacer made and had the ZJ tone rings machined out and a step put in them. Its nearly a press fit.

P1110740.jpg

P1110738.jpg

You can't simply press the ZJ tone rings on to the 8.25 shaft as the axle tube is in the way. That is why a spacer was needed.
P1070331.jpg

Also, on the 8.8 you need to remove every other tooth on the gear at the carrier and the combine the two XJ sensor wires into the one on the pumpkin.

but i have a question... why are you trying to keep the TERRIBLE ABS system that is in your jeep?
Lets not start that BS.

Last edited:
ABS was too much trouble for me when I swapped in my D44. So I just cut stuff out. Maybe in the future, far future, I would put in new chromo shafts with the abs gear on the shafts.

Taking every other tooth off the tone wheel sounds much easier than having axles machined.

OP: good luck, however you decide to go.

Taking every other tooth off the tone wheel sounds much easier than having axles machined.

Not really. It took about 30 minutes to make the spacer, mill out the ZJ tone ring and step the axle shaft.

I know the Jeep Liberty 4x4 comes with a Corp 8.25 and disc brakes, but since the D35 was also offered with the Liberty I cannot confirm whether the C8.25 also came with ABS .
If it does come with ABS, this might assist you with your problem.

That was in the back of my mind also. From the brief search I did the KJ 8.25" has the tone rings at the ends of the axle shafts. However I don't think they have the same tooth count as one thread was talking about them being the same as a JK and they are different from other jeeps. That could just be a KJ owner talking though. They also use teh ABS tone rings for the speedo.

Oh, that sounds easy then, if you have a machine shop in your garage....

I don't and this was before I was working at a machine shop. Not sure what your problem is.

Back