• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some transmission work....

ZenDragon

NAXJA Forum User
So Im getting a squeaking noise from in or around the bell housing area. I was fairly sure it was the throw out bearing as I had almost the exact same issue with the last manual I owned. I can deal with most engine issues on my own but my experience with transmissions is limited at best, so I decided to take it in for a professional opinion. Not surprisingly they agreed, however they want to charge me $980 dollars for the work including a new clutch (clutch kit as they called it when I'm assuming includes most of the little things you would normally replace), and machining the flywheel. I understand that it is a lot of work just to replace the throw out bearing, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost when I could probably do the work on my own (although not nearly as quickly).

So my questions for you all are, for those of you that have experience with the AX15: Is this a project worth digging into on my own? Is it difficult given a mechanical ability on a scale of maybe 5 out of 10 (1 being none, 10 being expert). Would a Chiltons manual contain sufficient enough information for this type of repair? Also I'm assuming I would need at least some kind of clutch alignment tool, but would I require any other specialty tools for the job? Also And are there any aftermarket upgrades or anything else you would recommend I do while the thing is out to help save on future repairs and/or beef it up bit? Or should I do you think 980 is reasonable for the aforementioned repairs?

Its a '95 4.0 Cherokee 2dr by the way.

Back