• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this sleeve supposed to come out? Leaf spring question

bosco01xj

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched and searched. Is this sleeve around the eye supposed to come out? If so, what is the best way to remove it? I don't have access to a press.

524148_10100644275044825_1096570417_n.jpg

Gotcha. So the big metal ring/sleeve stays in. I'm glad I didn't start banging away on it.

pretty sure he said it does come out. the new bushing will have an inner and outer sleeve. it'll all be one piece with the rubber.

No, the thin metal sleeve comes out.
It can be pounded out with a hammer and chisel, or pressed out using a ball joint press (big C clamp)

I read his post wrong. So it does come out. Fantastic.

I like to use a hammer and chisel and fold that sleeve in on itself towards the rubber. yes, it does come out.

If it's really stuck slit it with a hacksaw or sawzall just don't cut into the spring. that will make it easier to beat out. Then you'll have to draw the new one in with some all thread, nuts, big sockets, etc. (adapt, improvise, overcome)

Adapt, improvise, overcome. I like that.

at least on my leafs I can slide a sawzall in between the end of the leaf where it curls around the bushing sleeve, cut the bushing sleeve, then it just pounds out with a little hammering and a broomstick.

Update. I placed a washer around the ring and placed a socket in front of that. I took my 4 lb sledge and went to town. The sleeve came out surprisingly easy. Thanks for all the input.

If it's really stuck slit it with a hacksaw or sawzall just don't cut into the spring. that will make it easier to beat out. Then you'll have to draw the new one in with some all thread, nuts, big sockets, etc. (adapt, improvise, overcome)

This is the easiest way, without a press.

Back