• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ DD Project - Ignition Switch Question

apetastic

NAXJA Forum User
I have recently acquired a 98 XJ, 2wd (I live in HI, I really don't need a 4wd), 5spd. She was a salvage title when the guy I got it from bought it, it had been stolen, so the ignition switch was pretty well broken and the plastic cover was broken off. It also is having heat soak issues, where it will run great for 15-20 mins then once its to operating temperatures, will run rough, progressively getting worse and will eventually stall out and die. There really isn't any body damage on it at all, and the interior is dirty but overall, not bad.

I got a very good deal for it, so I didn't mind the damage/issues. My question is; as I haven't had to deal with replacing ignition switches except on an old chevy truck, can I simply replace the switch itself (including key) without having to worry about the wiring harness? I know that jeeps went to an electronic key, so I'm not sure if it'll mess everything up. I already have a plan of attack for the heat soak, that's not an issue. I'm not 100% on electrical work so I need to know if its something that's simple and I can do it alone, or if I need to bribe my buddy who is more experienced with electrical work with a case of beer. I would prefer to do it alone, if possible. Any pointers would be extremely appreciated.

If you go to rockauto.com and look up the ignition switch, they have a how to video for removing and installing a new switch. I have done two of them so far. No problem.

Jerry

Back