• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1995 signals not working

landtortise

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 Cherokee that is giving me signal issues. I have tried numerous thing and nothing has worked. First off I have searched and posted on jeep forum, and cherokee forum. Also my hazards work just fine.

Things I've tried.

checked all fuses
replaced flasher relay
replaced multifunction switch

Still I have no signals.

Please help :NAXJA:!!!!

Check your ground connections, not just at the battery.

You say flasher relay, how about the flasher itself? There are 2, one for the hazards and one for turn signals. Should be under dash around the steering column. Otherwise check grounds. Then progress to checking wires for continuity and sockets.

there is only one flasher that I can find on my 95 I forgot to mention that the signals were working and just quit. I fixed the ground connections on the engine block to get my guages working are the signals tied into that one too? everything else works f&r wipers, radio, window, hi beams, ect.

Pokeyxj is correct: hazard flasher (or flasher "relay") is located on the upper right of the fuse panel. The turn signal flasher is at the lower left.

This is the configuration on the 93 -- you might check it out.

on the 95's at least mine and the other two I saw at the JY the flasher is a combo flasher and not in the fuse box. I know the 92 that was sitting next to them had the fuse panel you are discribing.

First of all, on the 95, the actual flasher for signals is found in the relay panel under the center of the lower dashboard. Mine was gray, but not all are. It's definitely not the same as the hazard flasher, and not the same setup as earlier ones. If you have not found this one, go no further until you do.

I had a similar problem with my 95, now no longer with us. I even had the factory manual and wiring diagram. New flashers did not help. Nothing did. I spent well over a day trying without success to trace the stupid wires. The diagram showed one thing, but I never found where the wire was supposed to come out. I finally tested the whole setup, found that there was no current coming through the hot line, snipped it off and hot wired it to a known good source of +12 volts, problem solved. I never found the wire shown in the diagrams. I mention this because Jeep wiring diagrams, while often very useful, should never be trusted 100 percent. My son also fried a stereo on his 96 by faithfully following the pinouts. Ooopps.

Your only hope here is probably to go through it with a meter.

thanks I found the relay panel mounted to the removable panel under the dash. It had a black relay in it that would click when the harzards were on. Then there was a red heated backlit relay under there too . Is there a diagram somewhere of the relay panel under the dash?

My memory failed me. It's the same relay for both flasher and hazard in an xj, so you appear to have found the correct one.

The fuses are separate, though. Supposedly fuse 8 in the fuse block is for turn signals and fuse 13 in the PDC under hood is for the hazard.

The relay has five terminals on it: J5 is ground for all. With ignition switch ON, you should get +12 volts at terminal J1. If not, you're supposed to find the fault between this terminal and the ignition switch (good luck). With ignition OFF, you should get +12 volts at terminal J2. If not, find the fault between here and the PDC.

With ignition switch OFF, terminal J5 should have continuity to ground. There should be continuity between terminal J4 and multi function switch cavity 17, and between terminal J3 and cavity 13 of the multi function switch.

If all the relay is good and all these voltages are correct, then the fault may be in the multi function switch or between it and the lights.

The continuity diagram for the multi function switch shows the following:

With all switches off, continuity between 12, 14, and 15.
With signals off, hazard ON, continuity between 11,12,13,15 and 16.

For left turn signal, it's 15,16 and 17, also 12 and 14, also 22 and 23 if you have corner lamps.

For right turn signal, it's 11,12 and 17, also 14 and 15, and 23 and 24 if you have corner lamps.;

Thr pinout "view from terminal case" shows three rows of terminals, with count beginning at left top = 24, bottom right = 1. The top row goes from 24 to 18, the middle from 17 to 10 (which is blank I think), and the bottom row from 9 to 1.

You should be able to take all readings on the switch with the connector removed, and an ohmmeter.

As I mentioned before, if like me you find that there's no 12 volt positive to terminal J1, you may have difficulty finding the route. The diagram was no help here and I just found another "ignition on" route and hot wired mine.

Back