• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what gears should i install....

Have a Look

Gears is a critical upgrade when running larger tires so I'm glad to see you doing it! Here is a chart which can give some guidance...

2ahsfab.jpg

But also consider where you drive. I drive all steep mountain roads, so I'm going 4.56's with 33's which is a little lower than stock gearing. Hopefully other members who have the same setup can give you feedback on what they did and satisfaction level. Hope that helps.

That chart in not correct for a Cherokee / AW4.

It does not state what speed it considers cruising speed, but if you intersect 4.56 and 33" tires you get 3018.

That's about 85 MPH. The chart must be based on a vehicle without overdrive.

I've had 3.55's 4.56's and 3.73's with various tire sizes and the best gearing calculator I have found is on the grimmjeeper site:

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

To the OP, I assume you have an AW4? The AW4 / 33" / 4.56 combo worked well for me in my '01. I live in a mountainous area and had no issues.

If you go to the supplied link you can do a side-by-side comparison of different gearing and tire choices.

4.56's work great for me with 33's and an auto as well. You can go 4.88 too, they'll give you a little more oomph but the front gearset (D30) will be weaker.

With a Dana 35 i would STRONGLY suggest you swap axles before you put any money into them. An 8.25 or Ford 8.8 will only cost you a little more and be infinitely stronger.

I forgot to say that my jeep needs more power on the top end! It does about 70mph at around 2,000rpm's! I fell I need more power in the top end! The low end is fine.

I forgot to say that my jeep needs more power on the top end! It does about 70mph at around 2,000rpm's! I fell I need more power in the top end! The low end is fine.

The 4.0 like to run about 2700 RPM at 65-70. I run 4:56 in my 91. 33x12.50+AW4. Its my DD and love it.

Def ditch that D35 though. Should be able to find a 8.25 or 8.8 cheap.

Ok.

I run 4.88 and 33's with an auto and it's great. At 65 I'm running 2500rpm or so. Pretty good to me. Plus I haul stuff occasionally. Go to the mountains etc.

And 4.88 may be a tiny bit weaker but don't let it steer you away from them. When someone can legitimately prove they are weaker, aka have numbers to back up that statement then don't worry about it. I've never seen or heard of a d30 4.88 pinion breaking where a 4.56 wouldnt

AW4, 33s, and 4.88s make for decent power and at 70 I'm around 2700rpm. This would be my recommendation. The strength difference is minimal, rpm difference is small, mpgs are same or better, but you get better torque than with 4.56s.

Back