• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CAI on passenger side. Anyone?

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
It seems the passenger side of the engine bay would be much cooler than the side the stock intake box and most other CAIs are currently on.
The closest I've seen in my searching is the Specter kit that moves it in to the cowl on the PS.

Is there a reason I'm not seeing that no one moves their intake over there just over to roughly above the oil filter area?

Battery?

Plumbing into the cowl is probably cooler anyways. Then you have an actual separation from engine bay heat.

The battery could sit where the old air box is on the DS
and basically the box and battery reversed.
That'd also put the intake almost behind the clutch driven fan that pulls in most of the air in to the bay.

That make any sense? I'm just pipe dreamin' right now but have always wondered besides convenience why they stuck the intake on the hot side of the bay.

Like this-
2012-07-05191158.jpg

I don't know about fairly equalized temps L to R. I've seen thermal photos of the bay and it's a lot more blue on the PS, by at least 30-40 degrees in the photos.
If the fan doesn't pull air in to the bay what does when on a trail?
I know the fan isn't gonna ram air in to the intake but I can't see how a totally restricted side next to more heat in a tighter space gets better cooler flow than the other cooler less restricted side.

Again, not trying to argue just thinking out loud.
I'll likely go cowl induction eventually anyways like the specter above.
How's the noise inside and out CobraMarty???

Nice picture. Worth a thousand questions!
Like: Were is the filter? Why is the old air box still there? What year is the Jeep? What is the diameter of the tubing? Why doesn't it rub on the hood? Does it rub on the valve Cover? Is there flex between the right (left) elbow and the cowl mount? The PS sticks up quite a distance compared to what I have seen, is it stock? What about the PVC circuit - is that part of the new intake? Is the valve cover breather not connected to the intake?

Last edited:
.If the fan doesn't pull air in to the bay what does when on a trail?

when on the trails, the fan definitely pulls air into the engine bay. The air flow when actually driving at speed primarily comes from the grill opening and the force of the wind resistance.

I'm not sure the air you pull through the radiator is going to be very beneficial once it's been heated by the coolant, but I'm pretty sure that you won't need the "coldest, densest charge" when you're not going fast enough to force the air through the radiator anyway. It seems like a lot of extra work for little to no benefit on the trails.

Nice picture. Worth a thousand questions!
Like: Were is the filter?
In the cowl is a 4x6 cone filter.
Why is the old air box still there?
Work in progress, It was like 100 degrees out there. Will be removed.
What year is the Jeep?
1998, see sig.
What is the diameter of the tubing?
3" and 4"
Why doesn't it rub on the hood? Does it rub on the valve Cover?
Because I'm awesome? There is a 1" rear hood lift, 1/2" valve cover clearance.
Is there flex between the right (left) elbow and the cowl mount?
Yes, just enough with the silicone pieces
The PS sticks up quite a distance compared to what I have seen, is it stock?
No, there is a lump of machined aluminum under it (supercharger)
What about the PVC circuit - is that part of the new intake?
No, the PCV is intact connecting to under the throttle body on the inlet side of the supercharger
Is the valve cover breather not connected to the intake?
Like I said, Work in progress, It was like 100 degrees out there. It will be plumbed into the new intake tubing somewhere.

Any more questions? I'm beat.:speepin:

And it's chrome and blue to hide the SUPERCHARGER.

Last edited:
Back