• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New tranny cant get shifter to change gears.

toates89

NAXJA Forum User
89 cherokee with the ba10.

last tranny started to crap out then all of a sudden it would drive around only in neutral as if it was in first. then it crapped out and the jeep would move unless clutch or xcase was in neutral.

so i swapped trannies out a 88 wrangler same ba10 minus a little difference in orientation.

replaced slave while i was in there cause it was leaking.

clutch and pressure plate are luk and less than 20k on them.

clutch master is also under 20k.

now it will move if i release the clutch as if i was in 1st or 2nd. but i cant get the shifter to move into different gears.

clutch is working because it will stall if i let go of it.

wtf?

only two thing i can think of is a or a bad pressure plate also replaced.

Last edited:
This is the equivalent of posting about a super 35 kit. The BA-10 is a turd, spending money/time on it is a waste.

But its your jeep, if you want to go wheeling with a french trans that could surrender at any time on the trail, go right ahead. I wont be wheeling with you...

This is the equivalent of posting about a super 35 kit. The BA-10 is a turd, spending money/time on it is a waste.

But its your jeep, if you want to go wheeling with a french trans that could surrender at any time on the trail, go right ahead. I wont be wheeling with you...
Fine, we know the BA10 is a junk transmission. Deal with it. Stop posting the crap.

It might be clutch related, you may also be fighting a couple of different problems. How's the flywheel? Resurfaced? New? Did you run through the gears before you installed the replacement transmission?

The BA/10 isn't worth fixing the clutch (mainly because of the $200+ slave cylinder), let alone the transmission itself.
No, let him go ahead. Actually, based on his location and his use of metric units, I'll bet he's in the UK. He may not have many options.

well looks like irony had struck i got it to work and the reverse gear is fried. so i just found a local ax15 and xcase froma 92 yj and purchased both for 75.

i am going to reuse my luk clutch and slave that i just installed.

now all i need to do i buy a new pilot bearing i think. an ax15 mount and cross member. and xcase linkage

good thing i only had 50 bones into the ba10

Check the spline count of the Ba10's output shaft. Compare it to the Ax15. I believe they are different. If they are, you will need to change out the input shaft on your transfer case. It's easy to do, but requires a complete tear down of the transfer case.

From a "vetteboy" post: Keep in mind that the Peugeot is a 21-spline output, whereas the AX15 is a 23-spline output. Thus you cannot re-use the transfer case from your Peugeot without swapping a 23-spline input gear into it. This input gear can be found in any same-model transfer case behind an AX15, or any same-model transfer case behind a post-'91 AW4. I'd recommend just scoring an AX15/NP231 combo to reduce the headaches on your part

Last edited:
Back