• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not flexing after lift

Mattster

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure if this is the right section as well as I did and search and came up empty handed.

I installed a 5.5" in the front and 4.5" AAL lift into the rear of my XJ. Adjustable control arms, adjustable trackbar, longer shocks, no sway bars. I took it out for a shake down and to see what it flexes like. The flex sucks, it almost flexed better when it was stock. The rear flexes ok, not good just ok but the front isn't flexing worth a shit. WTF could be causing this?

Unless you did a control arm drop your lower arms are probably hitting the shock mounts on the axle.

Your bad control arm angle has used up your down travel.
I did not do a drop bracket :(

I'll post a pic after lunch. I'm going to use the forklift at work and flex it out. see if I can find any bindage.

Thanks for the help guys. This site is awesome.

I do not have drop brackets. I think he has things to tight like they said above and time will let it flex better.He is mine with short arms.
Meetgreet065.jpg

But you need to let the jeep sit on it own wheels before you tighten stuff up.

good luck

I did not do a drop bracket :(

I'll post a pic after lunch. I'm going to use the forklift at work and flex it out. see if I can find any bindage.

Thanks for the help guys. This site is awesome.
you said you had adjustable arms, whos do you have? uppers? lowers? stock lowers will contact the shock mount on droop. but most aftermarket arms have the joint offset or a bend in the arm for clearance. not having drop brackets shouldnt limit your flex as much as people say as long as you have decent arms.

i can unseat my coils on RE short arms:
556059_367583283296094_1153932633_n.jpg

Dumb question....brake lines?
good question.

If RC coils, no surprise there. I swapped in some 4.5RC coils that I got in trade to help a friend out, and they tey didn't flex for shit.

If RC coils, no surprise there. I swapped in some 4.5RC coils that I got in trade to help a friend out, and they tey didn't flex for shit.
Really Cuz I ran a set a few years ago and they were way softer/"flexy" than the RE ones I ran last...
:dunno:

They do after you break em in
The PO jumped, and hammered his XJ pretty good. Dunno if that would help "break them in"
Really Cuz I ran a set a few years ago and they were way softer/"flexy" than the RE ones I ran last...
:dunno:
They didn't flex well for me, at least when it came to uptravel, downtravel was fine. I wanna say I had some 3" RC coils on one of my old XJ's that did alright.
Whatever, I don't have those crappy RC coils anymore, sold them and got some Tomken's. Ride is much better, even with crappy white rocket shocks.

The pic i posted is a RC setup.I run have ran these for over 5 years now.I have never had a problem with the ride, i put my soda in the cup holder by the E-brake and it doesn't spill.I think they're to soft if you ask me, leans way over in corners in the mountains.

At lunch I loosened and retorqued everything. I flexed it with the forklift and managed to get 24 and a bit inches from the bottom of the front tire to the ground. Actually seems pretty decent really. The control arms I have are RC lowers. I also found that they are binding on the bracket they bolt into in the front. Which doesn't surprise me cause they have no offset bend and are much thicker then the OEM's. So after work i'll grind the bracket a bit to free up some room and see if that helps.

Back