• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Lock up problems

flyingbrick

NAXJA Forum User
This last few weeks I've been borrowing a family member's 92 XJ 4wd 4.0L 5speed without abs that is dead stock. Everything was working fine until last week when I went over a large grade. The passengers side brake caliper had locked up. I changed the pads and rotors on both sides because it looked like the pad had broken apart and wedged itself between the pad backing and the rotor. I drove over that same grade this last weekend and this time the driver's side did the same thing. Towed it home and pushed the pad back in and bled and checked the components and everything looked good.

Tried to drive it again today and both calipers are sticking/dragging. They're not completely locked up but you can feel them slowing the jeep and occasionally see smoke coming from the wheel wells.

Is this a master cyl issue or a prop valve issue? I don't want to spend too much more money than I already have on it because it is not mine but I would like to return it in a drivable state.

Thanks NAXJA!
Joe

Last edited:
Service the brake system. Replace any faulty parts as needed, including the calipers and/or the soft rubber caliper hoses. Fully exchange the brake fluid if you do not know the age of your current brake fluid.

Sounds like you either are missing the wire clips, or have the clips installed wrong, the clips that push back the pads. I found out the first few years I had my first 85 XJ that there are 3 ways to improperly install the clips, and only one right way, which nearly takes four hands to get them on right. Check a picture in a manual for the right way to install the keeper clips. I tore up a number pads and clips, like you, with the same problem before I figured it out. I think the prior owner had them on wrong, and I copied his mistake...later found NAXJA and manuals and figured it out.

If it is not the clips, then see if the calipers are bad, seizing up.

Back