• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE Shift shaft

Elcapitano

NAXJA Forum User
"STEP 9: With the case disassembled inspect the mode fork shift rod (see image above).
If the shift rod measures 10.2” than you will need to cut it down to a length of 9.380”. This has been found to be a common problem for 1988- 1989 YJ models. You will need to cut the shift rod at the end located on the back side of the transfer case (Yoke side). Make sure that after cutting all burs and ruff edges have been cleaned.
"

i have an 88 xj, im doing most of my work in a parking lot and am rather limited on teh tools available to me. would it be possible to get a later np231 shaft from a 90+ with the correct length instead of cutting my current one down?

If you are going to get the shaft, just get hte whole transfer case and swap it in ... thye usually sell for about $50 around here (of course there is the odd guy that thinks their T-case is made of gold though).

I have thought of that. Would make it easier for the sye install child the Jeep stays a dd. Just want to he sure I got the right size shift rod

Last edited:
Just checked my local pick and pulls prices, glad they took over pull apart. Now the prices have almost doubled $90. And missed the 50% sale

just cut the one you have if needed? SOMEONE around you has to have a 4.5" grinder with cut off blade or even better a chop saw?

Back