• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats up guys, i need some help. Im stuck in Missouri trying to get back to SoCal

180ls1

NAXJA Forum User
Im leaking coolant on at a pretty good rate can anyone tell me what im missing here (2001 XJ)? You can see the little hose where the coolant is dumping out. Im currently in the middle of the country (Missouri) and need to make it back to San Diego this week. Do i need a new part or is there a way to patch it and get back if an auto parts store does not have one in stock. Thanks Guys.

Its right up on the passenger side towards the firewall.

74da801a.jpg

are you sure it's coolant? is it humid where you are? .that looks like the dump for the ac system, as it cools the air condensation occurs (like on a cold beer on a hot day) and it drains out that hose.

is it overheating? try cruising with the windows down for awhile instead of the AC on and see if it still drips.

That little hose coming thru the firewall looks like the drain hose for your heater core. If it leaks out of there your heater core is probably bad. Turn your heater to cold, that should cut the circuit off.

If worse comes to worse, just loop back the heater hose and totally bypass the heater core.

Well i have been running the A/C all the time as im driving and havent used the heater at all. I am 90 percent sure its coolant coming out of there, it had a green tint and was slightly slimy feeling. It hasnt overheated but the overflow coolent tank has dropped and is low. I was thinking it has something to do with the heater core also.

If worse comes to worse, just loop back the heater hose and totally bypass the heater core.

hmm good idea, im going to carry lots of water with me and that may be what fixes it for now. It just got a brand new radiator and a/c condenser but i dont think that has much to do with it. The A/C is dripping but parked for an hour and aprox 20-30oz of coolant was on the ground.

Thats the over flow bottle area.Is it cracked?

well yeah its back behind there, but its that dark hose and the bottle is not leaking or not very much. I watched the coolant constantly drip out of that black tube that is lower and closer to the firewall in relation to the coolant bottle.

I agree with the previous answers, looks like its the heater core, loop the hoses to bypass it and drive home. Fix the heater later but that will get you by.

i agree with the other posters now, if it feels slimy it's definitely coolant. bypass it and continue on home, swapping a heater core in a late model xj is not something you want to do away from home, a large part of the dash needs to come apart to get it out.

I agree with the previous answers, looks like its the heater core, loop the hoses to bypass it and drive home. Fix the heater later but that will get you by.

This FTW - Owning 5 fox body Mustangs has made me a pro at this particular fail / fix..

it looks like the coolant bottle is leaking from the pic and the little hose from the firewall is from the ac.the coolant is moving toward the firewall because of the fan blowing it toward the tube.pull the overflow bottle out and take a look under it.

turning your heater on full blast will tell you right off if its the core leaking or not. if it smells like coolant through the vents its leaking.

Thanks guys I've got it good to go right now. I don't really need my heater in the 100 degree weather right now anyways.

Back