• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best value in replacement seats?

What Rd

NAXJA Forum User
Time to go with some replacement front seats in my 2dr 93XJ. I've replaced the driver's side seat twice now with yard pulls, but the stockers are getting awfully old these days and I want to go with something aftermarket.

I need seats without tall sides to the seat base because they'd make getting in and out too difficult. In other words, a little bit of thigh support is ok, but the seat bottom needs to be relatively flat. Something along the lines of the Corbeau Moab seats is what I want - but I'd like to find something less spendy.

So what have you guys tried and liked?

WJ seats?

I'm going to try a set of Dodge Shelby Daytona seats I've got ... but I think they've got more leg bolster than you are wanting

Do the ZJ seats mount straight up or is some fab required? Not that I mind (have the tools n skills, if not too much time), but want to have a good idea of the pros n cons.
I know my 93 mounts differ from those post-96, but don't know how they compare to any of the ZJ years.

sorry to hijack the thread but while we are on the topic of seats i have a question about rear seats. I don't like how the rear seats don't offer much back support and i often worry about the rear seat passengers and am extra careful to not make sudden stops when i have them because i don't want them get injured i was wondering is it possible to get something that offers more support put in? i have heard of people custom fabbing the ZJ rear seat into the XJ. How difficult is that to do? another idea i came up with was removing the back rest to the seat taking the cover off welding in some head restraints and using that. the other question is is there some after market company that offers a different seat that's a plug and play? I have no problem doing some custom fab work but odds are it isn't something that can be done in one day which requires my XJ to be down for a longer period of time which i cannot afford atm.

You would use your stock XJ bases on the ZJ seats.
you sure about that? i have zj rails here and they are completely different than my 91 xj rails. i dont see how a zj seat will bolt to the old style xj rails without modification. i think he has to get the 96+ rails.

I would go with some form of aftermarket suspension seat.

I have Twisted Stitch Apex seats. Mine just have a wider headrest with two shoulder belt slots (done at no cost at the time).

137_image4.jpg

The side bolstering is half of what other seats are. Not super hard to get in/out of, but definitely not flat.

I would go with some form of aftermarket suspension seat...

I had a helluva time finding anything that would flip forward for my two-door...

Ended up with a pair out of a totalled, low-mileage 2000. Like the ZJ's, the inter-generational swap is doable, but really not a bolt-in...

Robert

What Rd (nice to see you back, BTW,) do you need the flip-forward? IIRC, you've got somewhat different access requirements than most of us.

The Corbeaus are actually priced not too badly. More affordable than Mastercrafts, of which I have one and love.

Also glad to see you around. I still remember Jeepspeeding with you in Moab in '08. :D

i had corbeaus in my mustang, they got broken down pretty quickly. i ended up pulling them out in like 2 years because the fabric faded, started to tear, and the padding on the back was so broken down that you could see the outline of the springs through the material, and feel them in your back.
http://www.corbeau.com/products/reclining_seats/a4/ that's the one i had, red fabric with the leatherette wear patches.
there might be better ones, just warning you that you may want to stay away from the cheap ones.
i have a set of prp seats now that i got used, they look pretty legit. the fabric is definitely much more sturdy.

What Rd (nice to see you back, BTW,) do you need the flip-forward? IIRC, you've got somewhat different access requirements than most of us.

Hi Jeff. Nice to be back:exclamati

I used to stress over the flip-forward, but I just did away with the rear seat and am running as a two-seater now. So while it would be handy for reaching in to grab things, it's not a necessity.

Yea, it's sort of a wicked, uphill battle. The longer I do this, the taller my Jeep gets and the more worn out my shoulders get. But I refuse to surrender. Not to gravity and sure as hell not to government. You think the death panel will approve rotator cuff surgery for an old environment-destroyer like me?:bs:

The Corbeaus are actually priced not too badly. More affordable than Mastercrafts, of which I have one and love.

Also glad to see you around. I still remember Jeepspeeding with you in Moab in '08. :D

I'm real tempted by those Moabs, but when you add on the bases it's just too much.
Yea, I remember that run back to town with a smile. That was a lot of fun - I'd never slid around that many corners in a row, before or since.
Looking forward to getting back out to Moab again. Just too much fun not too.

^this, go with the ZJ seats. even non-leather it's like wheeling your la-z-boy.

Love mine! Install for the front is easy. Haven't tackled the back seats yet.

Team Cherokee Has A Couple...

Hi there,

A few decent options can be found at Team Cherokee, Not sure your price range but they do vary and they are Direct Bolt-up for your XJ with zero seat rails mods or adaptors required.

10554-13447.09.jpg

They come in factory colors and various styles. The Actual text reads:

"Front XHD Front Sierra Seat W/Recliner Assembly Cherokee & Comanche 1984-2001
Finally a seating design that fits 1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee & Comanches without the use of an add-on adapter bracket. This revolutionary new patent pending design is the first true replacement seating up-grade in the last 30 years! By offering a model year specific program for late model Wranglers, the consumer only needs to purchase the replacement seat and not be bothered with those expensive add-on adapter brackets. Furthermore, while developing these new designs, we up-graded specific components of the seats creating the most durable seating program on the market today. Now you can offer a complete replacement seating solution for all Cherokees. The XHD seats, though they look similar, are an up-grade to our current designs. Low cost seat replacement option. Style matches the original Jeep® look with horizontal stitching and infinite recline mechanism • Great entry level price point for the Cherokee • Constructed of durable automotive grade textured vinyl and available in three factory matching colors: Gray, Black Denim, Spice which is more like the Carmel Tan color. .These Seats Feature--- :DURABLE POWDER COAT PAINTED WELDED INTERIOR FRAME TO PREVENT INTERIOR SEAT RUST FROM ANY MOISTURE & TO PROVIDE LASTING COMFORT. : SPECIAL PATENT SEAT DESIGN ALLOWS FOR SEAT BASE TO INSTALL WITHOUT ANY ADAPTER BRACKETS-WHICH SAVES MONEY & TRULY PROVIDES EXTRA STRENGTH. : EACH (XHD)EXTRA HEAVY DUTY SEAT IS DESIGNED TO ALL FUNCTIONALITY ON ALL CHEROKEES & COMANCHES BY HAVING A UNIQUE DESIGN THAT INCORPORATES THE FACTORY FRONT SLIDER FEATURE ALONG WITH A BUILT IN RECLINER MECHANISM FOR COMFORT.: HEAVY DUTY SEAT BASE INCORPORATES A CAD DESIGNED GIRDER SYSTEM WHICH PROVIDES TWICE THE STRENGTH OF ANY OTHER REPLACEMENT SEAT ON THE MARKET TODAY. : DENSE FOAM PACK & HEAVY DUTY RAISED SPRING DESIGN CREATES A MORE COMFORTABLE SEATING EXPERIENCE. THIS NEW "COMFORT DESIGN" HAS BEEN CREATED TO ENSURE SEAT LONGEVITY & COMFORT ALL IN ONE PACKAGE. : FOUR HEAT TREATED GRADE-8 7/16" SIDE BOLTS ATTACH THE SEAT BASE TO THE SEAT BACK.THIS INCREASED SIZE STRENGTHENS THE SEAT BACK & EXCEEDS DOT STANDARDS FOR SEAT BELT ATTACHMENTS-NORMALLY 8MM BOLTS. : ALL LOWER SEAT AREAS HAVE AN EXPANDED BOLSTER AREA PROVIDING A WIDER SEATING AREA FOR MORE COMFORT. WIDER BOLSTERS ALSO PROVIDE EASIER ACCESS/EXIT WHILE ENTERING & LEAVING THE VEHICLE. : INFINITELY ADJUSTABLE RECLINING MECHANISM LETS YOU CUSTOMIZE THE SEAT RECLINE POSITION FOR THE ULTIMATE COMFORT & FOR THOSE PEOPLE THAT ARE TALLER OR HAVE SOME CHRONIC BACK PAIN--THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT REASONS TO GET A NEW SEAT. : EACH SEAT OFFERS AN INDUSTRY LEADING 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY. -- -THESE SIERRA SEATS WITH RECLINERS ARE MADE WITH LARGER BASES & LARGER BOLSTERS & ABLE TO TAKE 4-POINT SEAT BELTS IN CASE YOU WANT TO USE THESE SEATS FOR TRAILS ON THOSE RARE OCCASIONS BUT HAVE COMFY SEATS ON THE DAY TO DAY DRIVES. RUGGED RIDGE PART# GRAY SIERRA#13447.09 BLACK DENIM SIERRA#13447.15 SPICE SIERRA #13447.37
"

Priced $249 for this model. OK hope that helps.

Back