• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a place to mount an oil temp sender?

Bbasso

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if there was a location that I could mount a oil temp sender without getting into bungs and welding.

I did search around but didn't find anything with enough info or pictures.
can you assist?

thank you.

Sorry about this but...

You will have to weld a bung into the pan. If you attempt to modify the oil pressure sensor location, you will read block temperature. The oil temperature sensor must be immersed in the oil. I am surprised that the installation instructions do not mention it.

Sorry about this but...

You will have to weld a bung into the pan. If you attempt to modify the oil pressure sensor location, you will read block temperature. The oil temperature sensor must be immersed in the oil. I am surprised that the installation instructions do not mention it.

^ what he said. weld (or have someone weld) the appropriate sized bung into the pan, wire it up, and you're done.

Could he just replace the oil drain plug with a temp unit. Reduce it down to sender size? Put the appropriate size washer/gasket on it and unplug the connector when changing oil.

I'd be nervous about catching on something and ripping the sender out if mounted in drain plug location. IMHO sender bung should be on the side of the pan to prevent this. If you don't have a welder I know I've seen bungs that attach with a big nut and nylon washers, if you use one of those all you need is a unibit and some wrenches (but you will still need to drop the pan.)

one twig and there goes the wiring... Drain bolt is possibly the worst location for a Jeep. (any off road vehicle that sees dirt)

While I don't mind dropping the pan, I'd rather find a place higher up IF possible.

Others have already stated it needs to be IMMERSED in the oil in order to get an accurate temp.

You could drain your oil, drill a small hole ~3/16" - 1/4" with a well greased bit, then use an air chisel with a flanger tip and run it in until you have the right dimension to tap for the fitting.

Back