• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift with ABS question

95XJ_Cbiscuit70

NAXJA Forum User
Still working on getting the 4.5" RC LA lift kit done. Everything is installed just working through redoing the corroded brake lines. Finished up replumbing the rear tonight and realized that the brake line extension with the kit looks like the axle could drop 4" with ease. Problem is the jeep has ABS and the RC instructions don't mention anything about extending the ABS sensor lines.

I pulled the connections from the old brake lines yet the ABS lines hanging loose look like they'll be the first to be torn off. I guess it affects any lifted XJ no matter the manufacturer. Not looking for a bashing of RC since the overall product quality seems decent enough for the price. Just wondering what other ABS jeep owners did with the sensor lines.

BTW, don't tell me to get rid of the ABS. At this point, with the money invested I just want to get the jeep rolling out of the driveway again.
Thanks

I don't have a problem with the ABS lines on my 2000 w/ 3.5" lift. But it could be different on yours. However, there are enough mounting points that you could relocate the routing to get some extension. I want to say that I bent something on mine or moved something, but it has been so long ago that I don't remember.

On my 96 with abs the rear abs wires i exteneded. If you cut the cable in the center you will see two wires. I added in about 8 inches of 16 gauge wire. I used sodder and heat shrink tube to seal the connection point. Then added a second layer of heat shrink tube and sealed with silicon. Then I got a piece of plastic wire shield and put over the whole section. I attached to the brake lines just like it was factory. In the front I took one of the boots out of the holder by the spring mount on the axle. Originaly it makes a loop at the axle side. With the second mounting point out this gave me enough to flex no problems. I will try to add pics this afternoon.

At 4.5" of lift, I did not have issues with the ABS lines. The rear was fine. In front, the ABS line snakes thru 2 connection points to create a U-shape, I pulled the wire from the first connection point to give extra slack.

Depending on the year, you can easily disable the ABS system and still have normal braking.

.... Let's keep this one topic. /endscold

My lines were seeing a lot of stress with around 5" and full droop. The fronts are plenty long, you just have to unbolt a bracket or two to get rid of the factory zig-zag in the wires. In the rear, I pulled back the carpet and found about 4" of extra wire under the seat. I stretched that bit out, and moved the grommets accordingly. No problems at all now.

Back