• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just changed my track bar, Steering Wheel is Moved

Spearfisher XJ

NAXJA Forum User
While hunting down my case of Death Wobble, I replaced my cooked track bar and track bar mount with a unit from Rock Krawler (Didn't fix the DW). But After adding the new mount and re-centering my axle by turning the tires left and right until they were even, I added the track bar.

I then jumped in the XJ and noticed that the steering wheel was way off center. Before it used to be about 10* clockwise, and now its at about 60* clockwise.

What did I manage to screw up?

1988 XJ HP 9"/HP 9" 5.5" Lift, 33's, Chromoly steering

normal, just adjust the drag link to recenter the wheel and you'll be fine. this is assuming the axle is centered to the vehicle. if it isnt, you need to adjust the track bar until it is, then adjust the drag link.
whenever you lift, align, lower, tweak, or change steering components, you'll likely need to recenter the wheel.

Never done it before. Do I need to get the tires off the ground beforehand to adjust the drag link?

Thanks for the help

-Blake

No, loosen the nuts of the sleeve at the pitman arm TRE, adjust until the steering wheel is centered. Tighten up the nuts and off you go.

Back