• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is lower radiator hose supposed to hit steering lines?

acannell

NAXJA Forum User
89 xj 4.0

lower radiator hose definitely getting squished by steering lines

motor mounts are crappy and cracked but not sunken..

this cant be how its supposed to be right?

photobucket-5205-1341090362024.jpg

Make sure the hose is pushed all the way onto the WP. Otherwise, something is bent/broken.

If all still looks good, you could just cut an inch or so off the end of the hose on the Wp side to raise it and clear.

Make sure the hose is pushed all the way onto the WP. Otherwise, something is bent/broken.

If all still looks good, you could just cut an inch or so off the end of the hose on the Wp side to raise it and clear.

ugh..thanks. the hose is bottomed out on the wp..so i guess somethings bent liike u say...looks like the pressure line is dead so ill get a new one first and see if i can figure out whats going on..how much clearance should there be?

Your motor mounts are worn out and allowed your engine to shift down.

Etiher way it appears your line is leaking...and that you're using ATF for PS fluid.

As far as contacting the hoses you could have:

a wrongly bent pressure hose (or a wrong part).
bad motor mounts (as previously mentioned).
or...do you have a different steering box? Like a ZJ or Durango box?
Do you have a factory (or replacement of same) lower hose, or is it bulk hose?

Also, that ATF fluid will eat/weaken the lower rad hose in time...just sayin'

Etiher way it appears your line is leaking...and that you're using ATF for PS fluid.
The transmission cooler lines are also in the same area and could be the source of the leak.

I wouldn't bet on motor mount issues. Some aftermarket hoses will touch the lines.

this. mine has always rubbed, I just shoved a section cut from an old hose in between and zip tied it in place to keep it from wearing a hole in it.

The aftermarket lower rad hose I installed last week needed 1-2" cutoff each end to prevent it from rubbing. As was mentioned, i cutoff a section of the old hose, sliced it lengthwise, and put it over the new hose. The upper rad hose I bought came with a nice ribbed plastic cover.

the factory lower rad and factory PS hoses touch. 12 years and its never been a problem.

deal with the leak and then forget about it.

As far as contacting the hoses you could have:

a wrongly bent pressure hose (or a wrong part).
bad motor mounts (as previously mentioned).
or...do you have a different steering box? Like a ZJ or Durango box?
Do you have a factory (or replacement of same) lower hose, or is it bulk hose?

Also, that ATF fluid will eat/weaken the lower rad hose in time...just sayin'

All the parts mentioned except the motor mounts are from before I owned the Jeep..so I'm not sure. Ive been adding power steering fluid when it leaks so someone else must have loaded it with ATF. I dont think the steering box is different, but who knows.

Isnt the steering box, and therefore those lines, chassis mounted, and since the engine moves, isnt the hose bouncing around on the lines? That seems really bad. How could this be intentional? Its a really tight fit, they arent merely touching, they are indenting into the hose.

I'll try cutting sections of the hose off like people suggested. The new mounts are on the way too, maybe that will fix it.

The lines look like they come out at an angle they were supposed to, but I will probably be replacing them since there is a leak, so maybe we'll get to the bottom of this.

Hopefully I get this fixed before the fluid eats away the new bottom hose, thanks :)

the radiator hose is mounted to the radiator which is chassis mounted and, the engine.

the PS hoses are mounted to the steering box which is chassis mounted and the PS pump, which is mounted to the engine.

seems like they would move similarly.

my lower hose also has some permanent indents from those lines, 12 years, no leaks.

oh yeah my bad..its a stick..no tranny cooler

im gunna hope it lasts until the poly mounts get here

my plan is:

-install poly mounts

-inspect lines to see if anything could have moved/bent/changed that would cause it

-fix whatever is leaking

-see if somehow rotating the new hose would fix it (im guessing not)

-as a last option, if a new line looks the same, ill just cut the hose

wait a second...

isnt there a version of this cooling system with an additional item between the water pump and radiator? that section of metal tubing with a sensor in it? maybe there is a mixup in part numbers and im getting a hose designed for that setup? it looks like the hose that came off, but with almost 200k miles, that hose may be the wrong one too

the leak is most likely the high pressure PS line. mine leaked. right where you have that picture taken.

you may be able to route the PS lines a little different as well.

Back