• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Massive Brake Fluid Leak

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished swapping out pads and calipers and I have a huge leak right where the line connects to the caliper. Any idea how to stop it from leaking?

62cfa2d5-6878-ca8c.jpg

62cfa2d5-6887-04bd.jpg

yeah tighten the banjo bolt

Use 2 new copper crush washers, don't try to reuse the old ones.

The kit only came with 1. Can I buy them at the parts store?
It's as tight as its going to get.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Replacement calipers should come with 2, you need one on each side of the banjo fitting. Any decent auto parts store should have replacements.

X2 take one with you to the parts store as there are different sized ones.

When you install the new ones, don't crank down on them too tightly.
Just snug enough not to leak is all you need.
Overtightening can cause them to leak again

Be careful, I snapped one of those and it was a bitch to find, especially without a second car.

For some reason these washers seem to be hard to find, I would love to find an affordable assortment of the common sizes of thin banjo washers to keep in the garage. Unfortunately you seem to be limited to buying the little blister packs in the "HELP" section at most parts stores.

Now for the wrong way to solve your problem, when this happens on a Sunday and you absolutely positively have to drive the vehicle the next day. Heat up your old washers with a plumbing torch until they glow and then let them cool. This will anneal the copper and make it "dead soft" again and allow you to reuse them until you have a chance to fix it right.

Back