• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil conversion

joejeep92

NAXJA Forum User
I have been looking at axle upgrades for my 93 xj 5 speed/4.0 30/27 spline 8.25. I'm still running the stupid 3.07 gears and the point of the axle upgrade is the gears. the 97 on Grands came with 30/44 with 3.73's with rear discs but also rear coils. Does someone have a basic walk through of converting to coils?

the rear end in the later grand is a D44a, not a regular D44. they're aluminum and prone to cracking. The general consensus is the D44a is a piece of crap, there is even a TSB about how to lift the vehicle with a jack to keep from cracking the center section.

I would stay away from it.

Maybe locate a Rubi axle.

not intending to insult your intelligence...

but i think this falls into the realm of, "if you have to ask such a general question even before getting started, your probably not ready for this project." with that said, assuming you want to pursue a rear 4 link, utilizing the stock bracketry on the ZJ axles is going to give you a headache, your better off designing one from scratch. search the mod tech.

also, stay away from those axles. the 30 is LP, and the 44a is poo.

but i think this falls into the realm of, "if you have to ask such a general question even before getting started, your probably not ready for this project." with that said, assuming you want to pursue a rear 4 link, utilizing the stock bracketry on the ZJ axles is going to give you a headache, your better off designing one from scratch. search the mod tech.

what he said. i just linked the rear of my xj and it was a bit of work. no sense in keeping the stock zj links, i'd just start from scratch like i did. it wont be cheap or entirely easy.

Believe me I am more than qualified for this project there sport. I however have not done a 4 link on an xj.

What is the real purpose here? Are you just wanting to regear or do you want to do a 4 link? If the main purpose is a regear, then regearing is the best solution. Your 8.25 will serve you well as will the D30. It's easy to convert to a 29 spline 8.25, and the D30 is decent up to 33s. 35s are doable but pushing the limits. Regearing will be a lot cheaper, faster, and easier than trying to swap ZJ axles in and doing a 4 link conversion out back.

Also, I would agree that if you're main question on doing a coil conversion is "How?", you may want to do more research first, there's a few threads on here between mod tech and Advanced Fab that delve into the finer points between angles, geometry, arm length and separation, coil spring rates and lengths, etc etc etc.

Back