• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Guess the clicking

MrShaft696

NAXJA Forum User
Anyway Ive been having allot of clicking & popping when turning the wheel sometimes. It doesn't do it just sitting parked, but if I put the wheel up against a curb I can get some noise out of it. I have checked everything, steering box bolts, steering box brace, track bar, track bar bolts, control arm bolts etc. I thought the noise was the RE track bar but I think by looking at this, my steering box may be bad internally & making the clicks and pops because I cant see anything moving that shouldn't, & i can feel it thru the steering wheel.

Have someone else help turn the wheel while you look but I am thinking Tie rod end, pitman arm, track bar holes wallowed out/bad bushing. From looking at the steering shaft turning and the movement in the drag link they are sinc'ed with no play in the box making me think that's not it. Put your hands on all the linkage and feel them as someone turns the wheel for you while you look everything over.

Have someone else help turn the wheel while you look but I am thinking Tie rod end, pitman arm, track bar holes wallowed out/bad bushing. From looking at the steering shaft turning and the movement in the drag link they are sinc'ed with no play in the box making me think that's not it. Put your hands on all the linkage and feel them as someone turns the wheel for you while you look everything over.

well i gave all that a shot today and there seems to be some slop/clunk in the tie rod ends.

the really wierd thing is I did some circles in a empty parking lot today, and when i start moving pretty good, it really starts clunking back and forth making noises like its fighting itself.

I really thought the trackbar was responsible for left to right movement but I really cannot feel any play in it or the mount for it. Its a RE 1600 with a heim joint so naturally it has a little movement but not enough to make a huge clunk.

Back